Notices

Ok, time for new exhaust...recommendations?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:25 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, time for new exhaust...recommendations?

I have an '89 Si, stock, CAI is the only mod. I want something somewhat quiet and still provides above OEM performance. Right now I'm running a Magnaflow muffler; I like the low growl it puts out but gets a little too loud on open throttle for my taste. I saw a Monza system for a decent $, but have heard from others it's loud. I may just get all the piping & components and do a custom exhaust job(I know some skilled welders that can help me). What would any of you recommend, and what should I stay away from? If I'm running low 100's HP should I go with a 2", 2.25", or 2.5" system? All advice is appreciated.

*edit* My car is a CRX h:
Old 01-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Just posted this info in another thread...

I actually recently bought this muffler (axle back) a month ago and love it so far:

http://www.elementmotorsport.com/pro...roductID=26031

How it looks on my car (ignore the racing stripes, they are not going to be staying on my car, and no I didnt put them on there, bought them on the car!):

And heres how it sounds in my car:

http://s93290946.onlinehome.us/carshit/HPIM0204.mpg (4.5 meg video file)

Damn good muffler if u ask me... Specially for the price... No hint of rice at all...
Not sure what caru have, but if u have a CRX, this is a sweet muffler, for a decent price...
Now, I think this will fit an 89 Civic Si, but Im not 100% sure, might wanna make sure first...
Old 01-31-2005, 04:10 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I have a Tanabe exhaust on my car, and it isn't too loud, and I have no cat on it. It is two resonators, and the muffler, it is the catback system, but the cat was cut off, and new piping was welded on, and it sin't that loud, and I received good HP gains.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:38 AM
gingas

Hey buddy, I have a 91 civic si w/ a stainless steel cat back Thermal Research& Development. It's not loud or have that ricey sound that alot of the exhaust have. When you're cruising it's not loud at all & even when you're getting into it you hear a nice deep sound. You never have to worry about rusting out especially in cold climates. I paid around $400. I'm real satisfied with it. good luck w/ your choice. Gingas
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM
ED9man
driver

Tenzo R is crap. I hear the Tanabe and RS*R systems are good. Run you about $500-600 for a cat back.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by ED9man
Tenzo R is crap. I hear the Tanabe and RS*R systems are good. Run you about $500-600 for a cat back.
Yea, generally your right... And if it didnt come from high reccomendations from someone else who had one, I probably would have spent alot more, for a different brand... But Im honestly happy I paid little, and got a good muffler... Bottom line is, this is a damn good muffler, if your on a budget... But if u can afford another muffler, go for it... Im sure theyre definately work it...
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Tankard

I think the Ansa is a decent muffler. It's from the axle back. I bought my 91 crx si about 4 years ago, and it had it on it already. It now has a hole in it. Sounds loud and like shit with the hole. I'm fixing to buy another one. May go with the Ansa again. It's not loud, and looks good. No big ricey looking circle. Kind of and oval chrome tip that looks like stock on some new cars. I'm fixing to order it from here. www.hondapartstore.com. Don't know if it will be the same one i have now or not. This website has another one for a little cheaper, but i don't know what it looks or sounds like. If anybody knows, let me know.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
ED9man
driver

You might as well not get anything if you are going to get an axleback. All the piping after the resonator is tiny so the axle back does nothing.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Well it's starting to look like I'm leaning towards a custom job. Probably going to go 2.25" for the whole system. I can get stainless steel piping, but I can't find pre-mandrel bent pieces made of stainless steel, only aluminized steel. Does aluminized steel corrode badly? Who has experience with this stuff?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by ED9man
You might as well not get anything if you are going to get an axleback. All the piping after the resonator is tiny so the axle back does nothing.
I read some different info. Check this out. YOU probably DO need bigger pipes because you swapped in a B16A, but for mostly stock motors evidently an axle-back is all you need.

Muffler- I suggest only muffler/ axle back and not a full cat back system because Mugen (THE Honda perf authority) has found on several models that including a new B-pipe provides little or no improvements over the stock B pipe. Of course, this doesn’t stop just about every manufacturer of full exhaust systems from including the B pipe and passing on the accompanying expense.

copied from http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/b...udgetmods.html

After reading this I got a $150 Dynomax dual stainless tip axle back (quiet) and an $75 OEM replacement B-pipe (midpipe) for my '91 Si. It had NO exhaust when I got it, just a short section of rotted pipe bolted to the cat. The rest had evidently fallen off long ago. After I installed the above mentioned parts it seemed to me that low-end torque picked up with no loss of top end. You don't need a bigger B-pipe unless your engine is heavily modified (mine is stock) or you going forced induction. The stock muffler is the big power robber.

The thing that I don't understand is how those stupid fart cannons can be so loud. When my car had NO exhaust it still wasn't really that loud. How do you get away with calling something a "muffler" when it acutally AMPLIFYS noise. :wtf: