Notices

When I let out the clutch and punch it, the car revs, then slowly takes off????

Old 02-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K, thanks for the info man! Would u know about how much it would cost to get that done? And where would I call? Like, should I look up a machine shop in the yellow pages or what? Never had anything resurfaced before... h: Thanks...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by StkyKiD84
u shuld get it resurfaced becuase, the clutch scores the flywheel, if you do not make a clean/smooth surface for a fresh new clutch to mate and break into, then the new clutch will get worn faster becasue of the rough surface on the flywheel.
I have heard that the lightweight flywheels under 12ish lbs are not the best for a DD. - because it is like learning to drive all over again -Because ur flywheel was built that heavy for a reason... it was built with that much mass to absorb the engine's harmonics from the botom end.... When you get lightend flywheels/pullys they can not absorb all the harmonics causing the botom end to take the beating, causing parts to ware faster. If lightend parts were ok to be on there, i think Honda would have done it... After all if they did have a lightend flywheel, it would have cost less for them to manafacure the part...Honda knows best with their cars...
The dampening is the crank pulley's job, nothing to do with the flywheel. The flywheel is just so it is easier to drive. Go as light as you like.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by ED9man
The dampening is the crank pulley's job, nothing to do with the flywheel. The flywheel is just so it is easier to drive. Go as light as you like.
the reason why most flywheels are on the heavy side is b/c greater rotational inertia (this involves the velocity and mass of the flywheel) it helps reduce stalling

take a stock civic with a stock flywheel (~15-18lbs) and on a flat surface if you let it out slowly enough you can get the car to move and completely engage without stalling

take that same car and swap in just a 7lb aluminum flywheel and you won't get it to move without stalling...the only way you can get the same effect as above is to raise the idle may 1-2k rpms...higher velocity of the lighter flywheel to make up for the loss of mass

heavier flywheels make a car easier to drive especially if it is a daily driver
Old 02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
ED9man
driver

They are nice though because you can shift faster without as much jerking and downshifting is smoother.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:29 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

ANybody know how much it costs to get a clutch and flywheel installed?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
zum_16
Cant stop wont stop...

Location: Last Time i checked San Antonio Tx where the forecast is hot all damn year

Originally Posted by RedlineBoyzCRX
ANybody know how much it costs to get a clutch and flywheel installed?

Well it depends on what your going to get i mean if your going to get just an OEM clutch and flywheel then your probably looking at anywhere near $500-700. when i had my '90 Rex i just went for an OEM replacement and it cost me $450 with parts and labor but i mean that was like 3 years ago.