Notices

clutch pedal stuck down?

Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 AM
ED9man
driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal stuck down?

Today I was driving my car and I put the clutch in all the way to shift and it stuck down. I have had issues with the clutch cable since I did this swap. Any ideas as to why it stuck down or why it binds alot?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:38 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

either your clutch pedal assembly or the pressure plate (most likely) is bad...when was the last time you replaced your clutch? Also, do you have a cable or hydro tranny?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:21 PM
ED9man
driver

Clutch and pressure plate is brand new. cable tranny. Was binding up and shit before and after new clutch.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
ChrisS

Broken clutch cable? (or maybe badly worn clutch cable) The pressure plate should provide plenty of force to pull the cable back toward the transmission especially if you're using a Stage 1 or higher pressure plate and clutch.

Look at the clutch cable where it connects to the transmission.
Is the throwout bearing lever pulled toward the adjustment nut (clutch disengaged, no power to wheels) or fully extended (clutch engaged, full power to wheels).
-pulled tight = very badly binding cable
-fully extended = broken cable
In both cases, if the clutch pedal's staying on the floor, it means replace the cable.

Any sharp bends in the route the cable takes? (it should be a kind of lazy "S" shape when it's snapped into the retaining points that are mounted on the back of the valve cover and at the transmission where you adjust the clutch cable freeplay.)

Note: The Honda clutch cables have a teflon coating on the cable and I think inside the sleave too. I don't know about aftermarket clutch cables. Also, when I replaced my clutch cable there was a silicone lube that allows the cable's sleave to slide through the tube that snaps into the mounting points.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:52 AM
ED9man
driver

It's a brand new OEM cable.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:51 AM
ChrisS

If I remember correctly, where the clutch cable goes through the firewall the cable itself has a solid metal bend (about 20 to 30 degrees). The top of bend should be pointing toward the ground.

Or maybe, the cable is binding where it goes through the firewall.

Is the hole in the firewall that the clutch cable goes through in good shape? (parallel to the firewall, no damage, no corrosion, etc.; a friend of mine had to that hole repaired so their clutch would work correctly)
Old 01-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Tankard

Mang. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure if it's the clutch cable, pressure plate, or whatever is broken or messed up. h: My clutch cable actually broke on my 86 crx a long time ago. I noticed it broke right where it bent a little to much where the bracket held it. Like somebody said above, be sure the cable has no direct bends.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:18 PM
v8guy
Professor

If the pedal is stuck down and the clutch is still engaged it sounds like a broken cable. Otherwise perhaps the pressure plate is hung up somehow. Could the forks that hold the throwout bearing be stuck somehow? Possible problem with the throwout bearing binding also?

A broken cable should be pretty easy to rule out, but then you still have to fix whatever was wrong in the first place that was putting too much stress on the cable. I'm thinking you will have to drop the trans to get to the bottom of this mess. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
ED9man
driver

stuck down and disengaged. I will double check the cable to make sure it isn't bending too much. It is a brand new cable.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:13 PM
v8guy
Professor

It sounds like something is binding up. The pressure plate should easily have enough force to pull back the cable unless it has somehow gotten really badly kinked. I'd unhook the cable and see if it moves freely. If so, your problem lies somewhere with the clutch forks or pressure plate.