Notices

Mini me worth it or not?

Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini me worth it or not?

I bought my crx si at 100000 miles. The guy just put a new used motor in it. It now has about 170000 and still runs perfect and uses no motor oil whatsoever. I'm fixing to do the timing belt and water pump. Should i go ahead and spend a little more on a used vtec head for this motor while i'm doing this? What are the 1/4 miles times with the stock crx si motor and one with the sohc vtec head on it? I've been wanting to put the b16a in it, but that would be stupid if the motor in it still runs perfect. I've heard where these Honda motors are never the same after taking the motor apart, like removing the head. For example, it will be more likely to develope a head gasket leak or something after doing the mini me. Anyway, question being, should i do it or not? Thanks for any help on helping me make my decision. By the way, my car is loaded down with stereo stuff. I remember when i first got the thing before i put the heavy stereo stuff in it, it would haul tail as compared to now. I may also remove this stuff if i do any more performance mods. It's making me go deaf anyway.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:38 PM
ED9man
driver

Not really, those motors are a penny a dozen and take a few hours to change. That guy probably picked it up for a couple hundred bucks. It wouldn't be a waste to get rid of it.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by ED9man
Not really, those motors are a penny a dozen and take a few hours to change. That guy probably picked it up for a couple hundred bucks. It wouldn't be a waste to get rid of it.
No. You misread my question. Maybe i should not have made it so long. I just bought the car from the guy along time ago when it only had 100000 miles on it. Anyway, is the mini me worth it or not on a stock crx si motor. It can be had for a couple hundred bucks and add about 20 horses or so from what i've read.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Tankard

Well. From the looks of it, it's either not worth it, or somebody that has one did'nt read my post. If it adds 10-25 horses, it may be worth it, if it's an easy install.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Yes it worth it because you have more resources to aftermarket parts plus the intsant 15hp gain.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Tankard

Thanks for the reply. Will my aftermarket headers, or the stock headers, fit this head or not? I'll be sold if i get an answer to this. Also, does the stock intake manifold work with the head? The guy that's selling it is including the intake and headers, but it'd be nice if the stock one's fit the head. Especially considering, i've already got the aftermarket headers.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
MattCook

Don't worry about the motor never being the same, that's nonsense. I'm pretty much an amateur, but I've replaced heads on early CRXs 4 times now. If you're careful and do a good job, the head should never leak (my first one did, but none since). I haven't noticed any difference in performance either.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:41 PM
ED9man
driver

Yes, I think all D-series headers are interchangable. You will not want to use the stock one out of an Si, it is a terrible design and you get noticeable gains replacing it.