Notices

Radiator leak?

Old 01-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator leak?

My radiator started leaking. Not on my CRX, but my GMC Sonoma. Anyway, does that bar leak stuff work or not? I think that's what it was called. I've already flushed it and put two bottles of it in. It's a very small drip. The guy at Autozone said it usually stops the leak for a year, then it may start back. Just like to get others opinions from experience. Just curious if i'm fixiing to have to buy another 250 buck radiator soon or not.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
ChrisS

If the radiator is leaking from a metal area (note: many radiators have plastic top and bottom plates and a metal core area), remove the radiator, take it to a radiator repair shop, and have them solder the leak shut.

If the radiator is leaking from a plastic part (i.e., one of the hose connections is slightly cracked), try moving the hose clamp a little closer to the end of the hose (you might be able to get the crack inside the hose clamp's seal). Or try wrapping two layers of aluminum tape or copper "snail repellant" tape (depending on what your radiator's core is made out of) around the hose connection very carefully to seal the crack and reclamping the hose.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 PM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by Tankard
My radiator started leaking. Not on my CRX, but my GMC Sonoma. Anyway, does that bar leak stuff work or not? I think that's what it was called. I've already flushed it and put two bottles of it in. It's a very small drip. The guy at Autozone said it usually stops the leak for a year, then it may start back. Just like to get others opinions from experience. Just curious if i'm fixiing to have to buy another 250 buck radiator soon or not.
Bars Leaks works real well - so good, it usually plugs up the heater core and you get no heat
Old 01-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by jlicrx
Bars Leaks works real well - so good, it usually plugs up the heater core and you get no heat
Yep. I need to flush that crap out. I just went and picked up a new radiator and hoses.