Notices

Battery cable size, and leangth?

Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery cable size, and leangth?

I've read where replacing the battery cables is a good idea if never done. I was just at Pep Boys, and saw a bunch of different size and leangth battery cables. Just wondering if anybody knows what size and leangth i need for a 91 crx si? The positive cable looks as if it has two cables coming from the battery. Do they make this? Also, the negative cable looks as if it's grounded on the frame, and then continues to the tranny. Does anybody know what i need to buy to make it work? Or do you have to go buy the stock Honda battery cables for it to fit and work? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Civic/DX

I just added a second battery to my Civic and i used a 8 guage wire for the positive and a 10 guage for the negative. I think if you use a 8 gauge for both you wont be doing any harm. to relace them take the battery out and follow the lines to their origin. The positive connects to the fuse box in the engine compartment and I believe to the starter and the negative connects to the chasis. It's easy so don't be intimidated.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:40 PM
slammed91-hatch

wow, i wouldn't use anything smaller than 4 guage if you're gonna redo it, and especially if you're relocating. I ran 2 gauge for my power and ground when i relocated mine to the rear of the car.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I use two gauge when I make new battery ground cables. Four gauge would suffice.

Always use eqaul or larger size wire for the grounds.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:48 AM
jc836

4 Gauge is standard. Yes, the stock positive cable has a pigtail that goes to the Main fuse panel. That wire can be 8 gauge. You will find the stock assembly to be more than adequate. I have a new Honda one in the bin for the positive lead. Drop me an e-mail if interested. If relocating then the minimum is 4 gauge and be sure that the fuse panel feed is coming from the starter solenoid for tha setup-this keeps it reasonably short for the wire to the Fuse panel. Ground can be either 4 or 2 gauge, but 4 is sufficient for the lead to the block.