Notices

Crank Bolt relief, finally!!!!

Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM
icyfingers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Bolt relief, finally!!!!

hey guys, after all the reading and searching i'd done in reguards to my 91 crx crank pulley bolt being stuck.
i'm here to report that after trying the following suggested solutions; chocking the flexplate, clamping a breaker bar and starting the car, 1,000 ft/lbs IR impact gun.

I finally managed to get the damned crank pulley bolt out using the Sir Tool HO 60 just search on google for sites with it.
OMG is this damned thing great!! no longer than 3 mins out of the box was the crank bolt off the car. best 60$ i ever spent on a tool!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 AM
aero3685

i knew there had to be something out there like that, i know what i'll be getting next time i do a timing belt. thanks for the help
Old 12-28-2004, 09:13 PM
ChrisS

How hard did you have to push against your breaker bar to get the crank bolt to break free?

(I've broken two regular sockets, a 12pt 3/8" drive and a 12pt 1/2" drive. I bought a 6pt 1/2" drive impact socket and put a pipe 3.5' extension over my breaker bar. But, I don't want to break the bolt's head off or strip it. I don't know which gorilla torqued it. My guess is they used an air impact wrench instead of a torque wrench. I made a close approximation of the Honda special tool out of some 1.25" x 0.25" x 22" flat stock steel and two 3/8" x 1.25" bolts and nuts.)

Take Care,
ChrisS
Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 AM
icyfingers

well, it didn't seem that hard at all to me, i used a standard ½" breaker bar, with 2 12" extensions, and a deep 17mm. (all craftsman, and no impact socket) i'm by no means a super man either, i only bench about 225 lbs.

i was worried about breaking the bolt off too, but i figured, at this point, it's do or die. i also tried making my own tool, to no avail, there's just something about that damned holder that makes it work so well. i just lined it up, chocked it on the ground, and whammo!