Notices

FWD LSD is different from RWD LSD?

Old 12-20-2004, 11:48 PM
pureGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD LSD is different from RWD LSD?

I don't know anything about FWD engines ...
Does FWD LSD work like RWD LSD differential??
What kind and what kind of options of LSD can I buy for a JDM ZC engines?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 05:19 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by pureGSR
Does FWD LSD work like RWD LSD differential??
Yes.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:25 PM
augy

Originally Posted by Kai
Yes.
:slap:
Ahem.
FWD and RWD diffs can both be either open, lsd, torson, or any other kind of differential (with various exceptions; a viscous coupling differential would be tough to put in a tranny--see howstuffworks.com for more). A FWD differential is inside the tranny casing in every case I have experience with. That's why us Honda owners ('cept for, say, s2k owners because s2ks are rear wheel drive) have to buy LSD transmissions if we want a LSD. yet another reason to go RWD. Kai will happy to tell you all about it (RWD).
Old 12-21-2004, 09:49 PM
crxkid

so i cant buy a lsd for my ls tranny?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 PM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by augy
Ahem.
FWD and RWD diffs can both be either open, lsd, torson, or any other kind of differential (with various exceptions; a viscous coupling differential would be tough to put in a tranny--see howstuffworks.com for more). A FWD differential is inside the tranny casing in every case I have experience with. That's why us Honda owners ('cept for, say, s2k owners because s2ks are rear wheel drive) have to buy LSD transmissions if we want a LSD. yet another reason to go RWD. Kai will happy to tell you all about it (RWD).
You can actually buy a seperate final drive unit for transaxles. Quaife sells them and Kaaz too, I believe.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:40 AM
jc836

Actually, both the Quaife and KAZZ are installed in the tranny case in place of the stock open diff. There are certain JDM Honda transmission that have an LSD in them. However, I cannot say if they will bolt up correctly to the USDM version of the engine and chassis. Most of the road racing community either sources a stock gearbox from their car or yard and installs one of the above LSD units or similar per the rules of their sanctioning body.

Happy holidays
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Ahem.
FWD and RWD diffs can both be either open, lsd, torson, or any other kind of differential (...)
Excuse me? The short answer is yes. Within the same type of LSD (viscous, Torsen, clutching, etc) the FWD and it's RWD counterpart work the same. It doesn't matter where the differential is located.
A FWD differential is inside the tranny casing in every case I have experience with.
That's why they are called "transaxles." That means a transmission with a differential built into it.
That's why us Honda owners ('cept for, say, s2k owners because s2ks are rear wheel drive) have to buy LSD transmissions if we want a LSD.
No, you don't. You can install a few varieties of aftermarket LSD's yourself if you know how to work on a trans, it's just simpler and generally cheaper to buy one with a factory unit installed.