Notices

tickling, tapping noise?

Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tickling, tapping noise?

my 91 civic hatch makes this metal type ticking/tapping noise on real cold (enough to have ice on windows) starts then once its warmed up good it stops or gets a lot quieter.
Could this need a valve adjustment or have stuck lifter? and what sort of damage, if any, could it cause to the car?
Also my local mechanic shop said that it might be a stuck lifter (I don't know what that is) but suggested they add this MOA (not sure if thats the name) oil additive that would help clean the engine and also help protect/lubricate it and even help the engine warm up quicker. It costs like $7, do you know what this is and if I should get this stuff or what I should do?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

"tickling"? my car and i aren't that close or even that intimate...(couldn't resist)

on most cars when you start them while its cold out they will be louder than normal...first off they are on a fast idle (idle higher) to warm up faster as the hotter the engine, the lower the emissions...your oil is also cold and not helping to quiet the engine at startup (oil helps absorb engine noise)

as for the knocking i'd have to hear it in person but i doubt its something bad

Last edited by jaje; 12-15-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Mine does the same thing and as Jaje said it's just warming up....
Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 AM
redcivicforever

[QUOTE=jaje]"tickling"? my car and i aren't that close or even that intimate...(couldn't resist)

ha,ha...well you should try getting intimate with your civic...it doesn't necessarily help it run any better, but it sure is fun!...only if its a fine lookin' civic were talking about though!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 AM
redcivicforever

on most cars when you start them while its cold out they will be louder than normal...first off they are on a fast idle (idle higher) to warm up faster as the hotter the engine, the lower the emissions...your oil is also cold and not helping to quiet the engine at startup (oil helps absorb engine noise)

as for the knocking i'd have to hear it in person but i doubt its something bad[/QUOTE]

well louder is normal mine always revs a little (faster idle) when its cooler and you start it...but it only recently started doing the tapping/ticking thing, could valves if out of adjustment or a stuck lifter make this type noise? and if so would it be hurting the car? and what would solve either of these problems? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:12 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Yeah it's definetely the warm up thing.
I think what you're actually hearing are the valves. That little pitter-patter sound.
You might actually be due for a valve job, since that is considered regular maintenance I believe, but it can probably wait until you have the couple a hundred saved up.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

A valve adjustment will probably help.

If you're in a very cold area right now, a thinner oil will help some as well.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
redcivicforever

Default thanks all for the help...

My local ship will charge me $175 for a tune-up includes: cap, rotor, plugs, valve adjust, oil change, and i'm pretty sure they said air and fuel filter. This is all that should be done in a tune-up normally isn't it? if anything what else do they normally due for tuneup?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

isn't your current engine burning oil? (previous thread) - if that is the case than a tune up will help but if that engine won't last for a long time then it might not be wise spending $175 for a tune up on a wounded engine

as this is happening when it is getting cold out it is not a problem (i'm assuming you are getting your coldest weather yet) - only if the engine is still knocking when it gets warmed up i would be concerned

change the oil for good measure but i'd stay with a 10w30 (light enough but still thicker so you won't burn it up too fast) - and if you want a valve adjustment that might help...on these sohc cammers it is not that hard to do and the oil change and valve adj should not cost too much ~ $80 for both (an air and fuel filter have nothing to do with the engine knocking unless you are running boost and lean on fuel)
Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by jaje
isn't your current engine burning oil? (previous thread) - if that is the case than a tune up will help but if that engine won't last for a long time then it might not be wise spending $175 for a tune up on a wounded engine

as this is happening when it is getting cold out it is not a problem (i'm assuming you are getting your coldest weather yet) - only if the engine is still knocking when it gets warmed up i would be concerned

change the oil for good measure but i'd stay with a 10w30 (light enough but still thicker so you won't burn it up too fast) - and if you want a valve adjustment that might help...on these sohc cammers it is not that hard to do and the oil change and valve adj should not cost too much ~ $80 for both (an air and fuel filter have nothing to do with the engine knocking unless you are running boost and lean on fuel)
yep, my engine is burning oil, but (and this might sound strange) its oil usage/burning has lessened recently...it doesn't smoke very much now unless its really cold, and its just cold weather smoke. Maybe its due to the winter or the fact that I recently had a good shop do a sure seal kit to rethread and add new sure fit plug since my pan was stripped. They also changed to 5w30 maxlife instead of the 10w30 I'd been mistakingly using (someone on here said 5w30 is the right oil for my car). So whatever the case is, I'm hopeful i'll get more milage in my baby than I thought. I hope I'm right. I've been check my oil since I had this pan thing done 2 1/2 weeks ago and its perfectly at the full level, normally it would need a half a quart or so after 2/12 weeks of not adding any.