Notices

Random...not starting??

Old 11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random...not starting??

Hi guys/gals...

This is weird...early last week...my car had already been running...I made a quick stop somewhere, the car was off for maybe 2 minutes...and when i tried to start it again...no go. Everything had power, guage cluster, radio, heater fan...but when I turned the key to start...I got a series of rapid "clicking" noise and the dash lights dimmed (sounded like a battery dieing) and I stopped...I got a boost (which wasn't easy at 6:30am)...and was on my way...didn't do it again until this morning. Same thing...had been running for an hour and a half...shut it off for 5-10 minutes...no go...clicking...boost...no problem...I drove five minutes home, shut it off, and started it right back up again...started it an hour later again...no problem.

What the hell is going on!?

Only recent changes are O2 Sensor, Fuel Filter, Driver's Side Axle...HELP!

Jason
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Is the engine turning over every time? If not, it could be a bad starter. Try the "tap the starter with a hammer" trick the next time it happens. If that works, it's a bad starter solenoid.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:25 PM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Or check your alternator....Start your car and pop your hood and unhook your neg battery cable from your battery and if it dies then its your alternator or like Kai said your starter and if it doesnt then its your battery!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Oh, yeah, could be a loose battery wire. That can cause some funny stuff to happen.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Magik

Ok...here's the latest update...

This morning (6:00am/dark out) my my car was running and I jumped out to run into some place...when I came back out and got in the car I notice the gauge lights 'very' dim. So I shut the radio and heater off and they got a little brighter...when I accellerated they got a lot brighter but dimmed slightly when I stopped again...over the next 30 minutes of driving they got back to where they should be and I was able to turn the heater back on and the radio...got home...car off for about an hour...came out, started right up and everything was operating normally???

Could this be caused by anything you guys have suggested?

Jason
Old 11-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

You have a problem with the electrical system then. Have the alternator checked, and check the battery if you have a multimeter. Chances are that one or both is toast.

If you are really unlucky, one of your electrical components may be grounding out and draining your battery.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

I will put my car on the line and say its the ALTERNATOR....Same shit happened to me!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:30 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Oh yeah and I do not know if any of this has happened but if you want to keep your radio I suggest UNPLUGGING it cause for some reason my $250 dollar radio shorted out and now I am without a radio till income tax time!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
1990CivicSi

My first thought was also alternator. I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. The worst part was that I bought TWO bad alternators from auto zone. You can about imagine how confused I was. The guy "in the zone" kept arguing with me the first time until he tested it. Then he gave me ANOTHER junk one. The worst part was when I brought that one back (driving my car), he had the nerve to tell me I probably paid too much for the one I bought somewhere else.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by 1990CivicSi
The worst part was that I bought TWO bad alternators from auto zone.
That's happened to me too. The first had a bad voltage reg that nearly fried my electrical system. The FC RX-7 comes stock with a voltimeter, it was maxed out at ~17.5 volts and the car was freaking out. Took that back, they gave me one that barely put out 12 volts. Third time was a charm, I got a nice ~13.5v peice.