Notices

*help - '88 CRX needs new clutch*

Old 11-12-2004, 09:59 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the FLywheels on the OEM clutch do not last that long....This is what I have heard and read....Pretty much what I am saying is that it is not strong enough....PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on this one cause i am too sure just wanted to put that out there!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:15 PM
jc836

MY Honda tech tells me that the OEM or Exedy is about all you need for a basic clutch kit. The labor is based on 8 hours total time at the dealership. Some will charge for less. Independent shops can do it for less because they have a different overhead. SHop around-but find a reputable import oriented garage.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:07 AM
shorty_boy

Default well then.

My gf's brother-in-law works at honda automotive engineering her in jax, and he wants to pimp my crx (that is what he is known for) but he wont touch it until i get an engine swap (i'm broke and still in highschool) but yeah he suggested oem as well so iono. what type of swap should i do he wants to do a b16a1?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:02 PM
ED9man
driver

Good luck finding an A1.
But yes, do a B16a swap.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by RicerVtr
There is a special tool you need to break the bolts off where the steering thing attaches and where the swingarm thing attaches. Its a rectangular piece with a bolt in one side and the end cut out of the other, i don't know what its called, but there like 10 bux at autozone.
Actually, you don't need that tool. You can just jack up the disc rotor being sure not to use the disc itself, with a floor jack. This is of course with the car on jackstands. Whack it,the arm with the joint your trying to separate, a couple times with the flat end of a big heavy axe, sledghammer, or the like, being sure not to hit the bolts, or plastic grease boots. This is of course after you removed the cotter pin and the nut. This separates it everytime for me. Doing a clutch on one of these cars is surely not for the average person i would'nt think. It had me cussing up a storm and i've done it before, not to metion, i've changed out the whole motor before by myself on my older crx. Also not to mention i'm now bruised, cut, and sore as heck from climbing up under it hoisting the trans, etc., etc. It's really a rough and dirty job for the do it yourselfer. Also requires lots of tools, which i've got. Good luck if you do it yourself. Any questions, i'll be glad to help if i see it and know the answer. Also, the thing i always forget to do, is to break loose the cv joint end bolts before i jack it up with the tires still on the ground. My impact gun is sometimes not powerfull enough to break them loose. This is what gave me the biggest problem last time. I actually had to heat it up with a propane torch to make it come undone. I have to use my big wrench with and extension and step on it and jump up and down on it sometimes to break them loose.