Notices

whats obd/1/2? what is that stuff?

Old 10-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Mackenzie C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kai
Reusing your stock harness and swapping in OBD-0 injectors and distributor. Other slight tweaks may come up, it's as easy as swapping plugs.
so to back dat a b18c R to obd0 you would need to change the distrubitor and injectors, from what car though?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Mackenzie C
what about the ecu and all that?
... I already posted comentary on that. The higher the OBD level, the less forgiving the ECU is. I've added a picture for reference, it shows an OBD-0 ECU on the bottom, OBD-1 next up, an OBD-2 second from top, and an OBD-2B on top. I don't have a picture of a pre-OBD ECU at the moment, but can take one if you really need it.
so to back dat a b18c R to obd0 you would need to change the distrubitor and injectors, from what car though?
Use a distributor from a first gen B16A (excluding the '92 XSi/RSi) and injectors from the same, a 90-91 US Integra, or 88-91 US Civic Si. There may be a few different plugs here and there that can be swapped, plus adding wires for VTEC operation. Use a PR3 or PW0 ECU, preferably with a V-AFC to tune the fuel curve. Remember, a B18C5 swap will cost about four times more then the rest the car is worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0 bottom, 2b top.jpg (21.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Kai
OBD-1: 92-95 Honda cars. This is where it starts getting annoying, more codes are added and it gets a little more bitchy about certain things. It is the last of the one 02 sensor systems (except for the DOHC VTEC engines, which always had two.) Low impedance injectors. Grey plugs.
the DOHC VTEC motors have not always had dual o2 sensors. SiR II motors from the EG chassis were single o2 along with the 94-95 GSR and Sir-G. Also the 92 Xsi was also a single O2 sensor setup.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Mackenzie C

Originally Posted by Kai
... I already posted comentary on that. The higher the OBD level, the less forgiving the ECU is. I've added a picture for reference, it shows an OBD-0 ECU on the bottom, OBD-1 next up, an OBD-2 second from top, and an OBD-2B on top. I don't have a picture of a pre-OBD ECU at the moment, but can take one if you really need it. Use a distributor from a first gen B16A (excluding the '92 XSi/RSi) and injectors from the same, a 90-91 US Integra, or 88-91 US Civic Si. There may be a few different plugs here and there that can be swapped, plus adding wires for VTEC operation. Use a PR3 or PW0 ECU, preferably with a V-AFC to tune the fuel curve. Remember, a B18C5 swap will cost about four times more then the rest the car is worth.
yeah i dont think im goin to get a b18c5 because of the price, im just learning off of that example. thank you kai.

holy sheit having a obd-0 is kind of a nice thing then. so how the hell are you suppose to run vtec on that ecu?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Mackenzie C

alright new question. if i where to swap a obd2 motor in my hatch, what exactly would i need to do to these ecus and wirings to make it run right? get a new ecu, keep stock harness?
Old 10-30-2004, 06:39 PM
ED9man
driver

that top ECU scares me.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

what exactly would i need to do to these ecus and wirings to make it run right? get a new ecu, keep stock harness?
If you plan to keep it OBD-0, yeah, stock harness and proper computer along with a few extra wires.
Originally Posted by ED9man
that top ECU scares me.
It should. OBD-2b eats babies.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:10 PM
ED9man
driver

they don't even look like plugs?
Old 10-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Mackenzie C

whcih ecu would work for this example application then? 91 hatch + obd2 motor
Old 10-30-2004, 09:52 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Originally Posted by Kai
It is the level of complication of the onboard electronics. Each has different plugs on the ECU, injectors, and distributor to avoid mismatches.

Pre-OBD: everything '87 and before. They don't care a whole lot about what you do, and don't trip codes often unless something is completely gone... in which case it still doesn't care much.

OBD-0: 88-91 Honda cars. It gets a little more busy, but is still really simple. High impedance injectors. Cream plugs.

OBD-1: 92-95 Honda cars. This is where it starts getting annoying, more codes are added and it gets a little more bitchy about certain things. It is the last of the one 02 sensor systems (except for the DOHC VTEC engines, which always had two.) Low impedance injectors. Grey plugs.

OBD2/2a: 96+. They are the devil. Stay far away from them.

Your car is an OBD-0.

Wow, great explanation!!
-PHiZ