Notices

CRX for street/mostly track...what to do for 3 grand?

Old 10-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Go Fast James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1991 dx with:

1995 Gsr jdm
Y1 trans
clucth CM (will not use them any more)
flywheel CM (will not use them any more)
there is about $2,000. in the head thats cams,Camgears,valvs,TB,intake match...on and on

DC sports headers
race cat
Thermal ex
Place racing mounts (I will never use them agen)
gsr brakes
gsr struts
programed ecu

17" wheels nitto 555

I ran it 3 times
It do a 13.3 and I mist 2 and spun all the way down the trak.
the trans was mest up and still is 2years later.

And the car was bilt years ago.
like When people started to do b16 in a crx (in the us) I put a gsr in.
The car has beet a svt cobra that went 12.20 and I went by it about 1/2 cars on the streat.
Just mine that it was some where arond 2 years ago.

For what I have I had people tell me the car shuld do 11s good tires and less weight... on and on. it would not be stock lol
That was coming from the some of the people that made and broke the NA rec.

Lol I love and hate the Y1 trans.
I have been tro somany of them some of the parts will not hold up well.

O yeah there is about $15-17 with the car.
Going thro parts lol the $$ just keeps adding up.

It does not cost the same it did years ago and laber is a big thing.
I did it and people I know help.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:55 PM
LudeRage

I'm going to stop posting on what it will run, because I don't want to get into arguments...

My question was not what will it run, it was what do I need. Basically I'm asking someone who has done a swap into a CRX to answer this...I could speculate like anyone else what parts I need. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Go Fast James

I was just telling you all what I have and did.

LudeRage
I would do a d16 and turbo it.
If you dont go too much bost it will be good and u can get in to the 12s real easy with that.
Just make shure you get it tuned by some one REAL good!!!

U can get a D16 cheep or the crx will have it there.
get it sleaved if your going far with it.
bild it
some head
good turbo kit.
hondata
Old 10-18-2004, 09:57 PM
LudeRage

Originally Posted by b16hatch90
i put a b16a1 in my car and it will wiegh a little bit more then yours but it runs like a 15.1 but i only have like 3000 into it. if you want to run that fast you at least need a b18c5 but if your going to make the jump into just a track car or mainly track you should save and get the H22 cuz thats such a badass engine and you can make it faster then anything else
I'm guessing your swap is in a 90 hatch? And you only did a 15.1? Honestly that sucks. Either something's wrong with your car or you simply can't drive.

My friend had an SiR in a 90 hatch and did a 14.5 with I/E. An SiR in a 2100lb CRX should do atleast mid 14's stock, and with I/H/E should be yielding very low 14's/high 13's. With a better clutch, lightened flywheel, and a 55 shot, plus some good tires up front...hello 12's.

I'm just basing my estimated 1/4 times off of experience (my car with a 55 shot and bolt ons did a 14.45 and that was on a bad day where my best N/A run was only a 15.8 instead of the usual 15.4), other people's 1/4 mile times, and common knowledge.

There's just no reason a 1900 lb car (after being stripped, probably less weight even) with around 180 flywheel shouldn't be running 13's.

Here's a 1/4 mile calculator which can usually give a rough estimate of what to expect based on weigh and horsepower: http://robrobinette.com/et.htm
I know it doesn't take alot of things into consideration but nonetheless it gives a rough estimate.

My point of this thread was really just to learn what I would need other than the motor itself, to get the CRX running. I guess it was partly my fault that this got misinterpreted as what I needed to get it running 13's, which is not quite the same, and as I am not as interested in what it will run because I sort of already know.

An example would be: axles, ecu, mounts, etc etc

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:01 PM
augy

Well, there's a sticky post in this forum which has a lot of FAQs which cover b16 swaps, ZC swaps, etc. which will detail everything you need. Also, if you're considering a ZC swap, definately check this out:

http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/z...d%20It%20Cost?

this page is totally comprehensive and I've found it to be correct insofar as I've tested it.

good luck
Old 10-19-2004, 05:56 AM
LudeRage

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:29 AM
ED9man
driver

A B16a is hard enough to fit in a CRX bay.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
LudeRage

I think I'm actually going with Go Fast James' idea of a d16 turbo. I'll just try to find something light with a d16 vtec in it, build the bottom end with forged pistons and rods, and put together a cheap turbo kit.

I suppose though that no hatchbacks come with EX motors, which is what I had wanted. Maybe put a d16 vtec into a hatch, then turbo? I didn't really want to have to swap and turbo, even if the d16 is a dirt cheap motor...
Old 10-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by LudeRage
I suppose though that no hatchbacks come with EX motors, which is what I had wanted.
Sure... it's called the 5G Si.

It weighs a bit more then an EF body, though.

I figured you wanted to go N/A, so I didn't suggest the D/turbo build. It will definately go faster for less cash. A turbo can push much more impressive torque numbers for much less money.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM
v8guy
Professor

If you are going turbo what good is VTEC? Why waste the money on a VTEC swap? Just slam in a nice cheap LS motor or whatever and turn up the boost.