redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what you mean....

Originally Posted by Magik
What color is the smoke?

White = Antifreeze
Blue = Oil
Black = Fuel

I'm assuming it's blue if you're burning that much oil...I'd do a search on here on what causes excessive oil burning and start hunting down your problem...otherwise you will have bigger problems later.

Jason
I appreciate your reply but I don't know what you mean when you say "or later you will have bigger problems" isn't an engine a pretty big problem? I think its the biggest, the most expensive anyway. Do you mean that it might not be my engine? Or are you saying becuz it might be just my rings or something and not the engine? Or I should know what caused this problem to help with my future engine or...??? Thanks again for your help
Old 10-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Fire
wanna run

About a year and a half ago I replaced the head on an 87 with 391,000
Old 10-13-2004, 07:35 AM
redcivicforever

Default Maintaining the car is great but....

I agree with what people here are saying about maintaining the car and then they last a long time. But unless you're the original owner or have all records to prove its maintenance since it was new then how can you know for certain that when you're buying a used car (especially from a dealer) its been maintained regularly? I treat my car like a new born baby really. If it even makes the faintest noise I take it in, I always get regular tune-ups, oil changes, etc. I spent all this money, while I've owned it, on maintaining it so it would last a long time and now I feel like an idiot. I mean it woulda lasted this long if I hadn't done all I have for it. 165,000 miles isn't that many miles and is average for a 91'. I know Fords & Chevy's (which I think are like a Bic lighter-designed to be replaced every few years) with more miles and way rougher owners. I bought this car with 107,000 miles on it 5 years ago and everyone always says it looks like a new car, one lady even thought it was new! Its in such great shape. But apparently it only looks good and wasn't maintained mechanically at all =(....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Magik

Originally Posted by redcivicforever
I appreciate your reply but I don't know what you mean when you say "or later you will have bigger problems" isn't an engine a pretty big problem? I think its the biggest, the most expensive anyway. Do you mean that it might not be my engine? Or are you saying becuz it might be just my rings or something and not the engine? Or I should know what caused this problem to help with my future engine or...??? Thanks again for your help
It might not be the "entire" engine...just one "component" of the engine...for example as you've said "the rings". Blowing smoke does not necessarily mean your engine is screwed...blowing smoke is like a scratchy throat or a sniffle is telling you your are getting a cold...but...if you don't take care of yourself and that cold it could potentially turn into pneumonia and you die = don't find and fix your engine problem you "will" need a new2you engine. Start researching the causes of blowing smoke (depending on the color) and burning oil (doesn't sound like you're burning it, sounds like it's going out your tail pipe) and then start diagnosing what is wrong with your baby.

Jason
Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 AM
redcivicforever

Default But rings cost more than an engine and....

Originally Posted by Magik
It might not be the "entire" engine...just one "component" of the engine...for example as you've said "the rings". Blowing smoke does not necessarily mean your engine is screwed...blowing smoke is like a scratchy throat or a sniffle is telling you your are getting a cold...but...if you don't take care of yourself and that cold it could potentially turn into pneumonia and you die = don't find and fix your engine problem you "will" need a new2you engine. Start researching the causes of blowing smoke (depending on the color) and burning oil (doesn't sound like you're burning it, sounds like it's going out your tail pipe) and then start diagnosing what is wrong with your baby.

Jason
Thanks for clarifying...If I do diagnose that it is (for example) my rings isn't that still more expensive than getting a used engine and could it be that its more than one problem my car has that is causing this so that it may not be cost affective or?... I'm not financially set to afford any of this but if I get together the cash I want what is the most cost efficient even considering the future possiblilties that something might go wrong with a used engine or with other parts of my current engine if I just fix the thing that may be the immediate problem (s) with it? Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Randomher0
VSC EM1 13.1@106 RIP

216843 and counting on my buddy's '85
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
40576959365_0.jpg (7.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
40576981765_0.jpg (5.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Hondaisok

91 Civic LX, 1.5L I bought car at 155,000 miles. Just replaced engine at 196,000, engine was going thru quart of oil every 100 miles for last 10,000 before I changed the engine. I took the head off and the valves were burnt on #3 cylinder. I had to clean the spark plug on #3 cylinder every couple of hundred miles as it wasn't burning the fuel. I had 5 psi on #3 cylinder wet. Still got 28mpg even running on 3 cylinders! Wasn't bad for power on straightaways, just had to shift to third gear going up hills. Put another engine in (168,000 on engine) and it runs fine, gets 45 mpg, although the last fill up, I calculated 49mpg (is that possible?). I've read of people getting 300,000 miles on their Honda's though.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:52 AM
redcivicforever

Default Wow!

Originally Posted by Hondaisok
91 Civic LX, 1.5L I bought car at 155,000 miles. Just replaced engine at 196,000, engine was going thru quart of oil every 100 miles for last 10,000 before I changed the engine. I took the head off and the valves were burnt on #3 cylinder. I had to clean the spark plug on #3 cylinder every couple of hundred miles as it wasn't burning the fuel. I had 5 psi on #3 cylinder wet. Still got 28mpg even running on 3 cylinders! Wasn't bad for power on straightaways, just had to shift to third gear going up hills. Put another engine in (168,000 on engine) and it runs fine, gets 45 mpg, although the last fill up, I calculated 49mpg (is that possible?). I've read of people getting 300,000 miles on their Honda's though.
So the new-to-you engine you put in thats running fine has more miles on it than my car has on it and I need to replace my engine...as I was saying this really SUCKS FOR ME!
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 PM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you run it hot ever? If you want your engine to last a long time, you have to keep up the maintenance. Obvious is oil/fluid changes, but the last thing you want to do is run it hot. Even if you run it hot, you fix the problem, and it seems fine, damage has been done.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:37 PM
redcivicforever

Default Do you mean overheat it?

Originally Posted by wilsel
Did you run it hot ever? If you want your engine to last a long time, you have to keep up the maintenance. Obvious is oil/fluid changes, but the last thing you want to do is run it hot. Even if you run it hot, you fix the problem, and it seems fine, damage has been done.
I never overheated it myself but who knows what happened it in the 107, 000 miles before I bought it from a dealer. I have no real knowledge of its history before I got it. I think someone owned it before me who cared that the car looked clean and didn't maintain it right though.