Notices

shift linkage in 91 si

Old 09-12-2004, 07:06 PM
ludeboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage in 91 si

recently swapped a b16a into a 91 si hatchie.
i used the linkage from the importer and i finally got the bitch pin out this weekend after bashing it for a good 20 mins.
now i installed the SiR inkage and the engine ran fine on the first shot, but when i cycle the gears while not moving the shifter kinda floats around and only seems to engage anything with up or down on the throw.
how does the linkage actually change the rows to go from 3-4 row to 1-2 or 5-R row?

~kris
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by ludeboom
how does the linkage actually change the rows to go from 3-4 row to 1-2 or 5-R row?

~kris
Rotational position. Only about 20 degrees or so.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
ludeboom

excellent
that means its an easy fix
i used a bolt to replace the bitch pin but the bolt isnt very snug, so your answer was the answer i was hoping for, because the other linkage arm doesnt actuate anything (i assume its for rigidity between the shifter and engine) meaning that the loose bolt is allowing play and therefore the lateral throw never reaches 20* to change rows
much appreciated

oh btw: size 2 was what i was looking for, 3 or 4 is overkill

~kris
Old 09-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Yeah, I've delt with that same problem on a friend's car, as well as one of my own.

On my old Civic, one of the spacers on the linkage somehow broke out, allowing about 10* of play. The car shifted alright, but when in first gear, the shifter could easily wobble all the way over to 5th.

On a friends car, we tried to replace the bitch pin with a peice of old metal vacuum line. It was also very floppy.

If you use too small of a pin, you'll experience the same problem you had. If I recall correctly, it's an 8mm roll pin... something like 8x20mm.