Notices

hey kia

Old 08-30-2004, 04:53 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've done this many a time as it is slightly quicker than just removing the entire engine

couple notes: don't forget to drain the tranny fluid b/c it will spill everywhere

the jack you use to hold the engine up should have a nice thick board on it to prevent damaging the oil pan...to do this easily you also need to have the car as high as you can get it...if its too low you can pull the tranny out from underneath it

i'd also suggest using a 2nd jack to hold the tranny up while you try to line it up to the engine...that is the hardest part getting it in there

also while you have most of the motor mounts out you could do homemade 3M WindoWeld Polyrethane Motor Mount Inserts

Last edited by jaje; 08-30-2004 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:44 AM
speedfreak7
all wheel civic, what?

thanks guys for all the help
Old 08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by jaje
i'd also suggest using a 2nd jack to hold the tranny up while you try to line it up to the engine...that is the hardest part getting it in there
I love benchpessing transmissions. Twenty minutes with an ~80 pound RX trans works wonders. :chuckles:

I have to agree though, lining up the input shaft can take a while, and there really isn't anything you can do about it. I've been lucky an had them slip in in under a minute, others I swear I was laying on my back holding the damn thing up and jiggling it for a half an hour.

Word of warning: DO NOT let the trans rest on the input shaft.