Notices

how to take off ac help!!

Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 PM
oldskoolcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take off ac help!!

hey guys my friend has a civic ex and the ac doesnt work no more. hes all into the weight reduction crap and he wasts the take it off.. is it safe since theres freon in the thing? i heard u can shave off bout 20-30 pounds by doing that. thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It's actually closer to 45 pounds. The system from my old '87 came in at exactly 42 pounds.

Anyway, if there is still freon in the system, take it to a local shop to have it purged. That is the only legal way to do it.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
oldskoolcivic

damnn 42 pounds? my friend doesnt have much money, like he want to do it himself. but anyways if the ac doesnt blow cold that means freon isnt in anymore right? and whats going to happen if you get freon into your skin? thanks alot
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by oldskoolcivic
damnn 42 pounds? my friend doesnt have much money, like he want to do it himself.
Discharging freon into the air is illegal, bad for the atmoshpere, and dangerous to the person doing it.
but anyways if the ac doesnt blow cold that means freon isnt in anymore right?
Either all the freon leaked out or the compressor is blown.
and whats going to happen if you get freon into your skin?
Freon is a compressed gas. If you dump it yourself, you can freeze your skin if you get in contact with it, it will chew up your lungs, lots of bad stuff... plus the normal issues associated with pressurized gas.

It can be done at home, but I don't condone it.

If the system is already depressurized from a leak, it is a simple unbolting job.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 PM
v8guy
Professor

d00d, huff teh freon mang...sick buzz yo! :loco: :loco: :loco: :irock:
Old 08-25-2004, 11:28 PM
v8guy
Professor

Seriously, freon is nasty stuff. I read somwhere that if you burn it it makes phosgene gas, which was an early nerve gas used in WWI.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:55 AM
oldskoolcivic

wow.. how much does it cost to take off the whole ac in a shop anyways? (rough estimate)
Old 08-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

You don't need them to take it off, you can easily do that yourself in the driveway in under an hour. All you need them to do is purge the system, I don't know how much that is because every A/C system I've pulled was already depressurized from a leak.

It shouldn't be too much, as they recycle and resell the R12 they pulled out. I'd say $50 max.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:52 PM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

well that sounds like fun but in the unbolting job you'll probley want to take out the radiator and take out the ac compressor of the motor and the thing in front of the radiaor, the the lines off at the firewall. after that you can take out your dash and take out the blower motor and the ducts from inside the car
Old 08-26-2004, 06:19 PM
ED9man
driver

It's not that complicated.
All you have to do is remove the A/C cooling fan (on the left) first and that should give you enough clearance. You won't need it anymore, its another 5-10 pounds saved. Make sure you remove the compressor from the bracket first and then the bracket off the block. You can't just pull the bracket with the compressor on because one of the bolts is behind the compressor. I just cut the belt. Then take the top mounts off of the radiator and push it forward so you can pull the condesor out once you take out the couple of bolts that hold it in. Some of the lines are held in by little brackets. Bend and pull them however to get them out. I did it the ghetto way at the firewall and cut it with a hacksaw because its a bitch to get a wrench in there. you can also take out the canister with the check window, it comes out with a couple bolts.