Notices

Help, hatch leaking

Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM
v8guy
Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just attacked this problem on my '91 Si Saturday. I sprayed water all over the hatch with a garden sprayer and no leaks. Then I pulled out the headliner to check the drain tubes. Both of the rear tubes were full of water, indicating that they were plugged up. I disconnected each of the four tubes and blew them out with compressed air. I also blew up through the drains to send any crud stuck in there flying into the wind. Hopefully this will fix my leak. I guess I'll see when it rains.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Fire
wanna run

you should be ok if you are careful...remove it from the backside first.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:06 AM
shawn_crx8891

check under the two strips on the roof (one on each side, where the roof meets the pillar above the door). most likely the silicone or whatever it is in the seam is cracked like mine, letting water in. just be careful if you pull the strips out because they have metal in them and bend easily and are 40 bucks a piece from honda.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:33 AM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

Also check where the hatch meets the body. The hinges over time shift and move allowing water to get under them. You'll be able to see bubbles and probably some rust too. I had a leak in my rex for about two years, I changed the drain tubes the hatch seals and after I removed my hatch did the body work around the hinges and my problem was solved.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Tankard

I know this is an old thread, but my hatch is still leaking on my 91 crx. It's raining now and it's dripping like crazy. It's dripping out of the plastic molding piece where the shock that holds the hatch up meets the body. I've sealed up the washer nozzle, and it still drips. I've put the water hose in my sunroof, and the drain tubes work. How hard is it to remove the headliner? This is going to be the only way for me to see where it's coming in. Has anybody ever done this without messing up the headliner?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Originally Posted by shawn_crx8891
check under the two strips on the roof (one on each side, where the roof meets the pillar above the door). most likely the silicone or whatever it is in the seam is cracked like mine, letting water in. just be careful if you pull the strips out because they have metal in them and bend easily and are 40 bucks a piece from honda.

Did you do this mine was also leaking from cracks in the body seam filler. it leaks in runs down the piller and out the hole right above the hatch strut. Just pull the rain gutter piecses off and seal under them.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by daveb91
Did you do this mine was also leaking from cracks in the body seam filler. it leaks in runs down the piller and out the hole right above the hatch strut. Just pull the rain gutter piecses off and seal under them.
I just went and took it off on the side that's leaking, prying it up with a large flathead screwdriver, being sure not to bend it. There was no place where water could get in under it. I'm thinking my leak has got to be sunroof drain tube related. I'm going to take my headliner out and look unless somebody else has other suggestions.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:26 AM
jc836

I keep reading this ongoing horror story and wonder why it is. Here is another view.
Our '89 Crx Si has a DX roof skin professionally installed as part of the race car setup. The gutter seals (long black strips) were replaced and the seams were properly welded and caulked. The squirter was replaced and sealed. The hatch seal was replaced. Why do I have leak-because the hatch galss has trim on it and the seal has deteriorated over 15 years. Remember that this car was dismantled except for the quarter windows themselves-new outer seals and caulking were done after paint. Thus there are only2 places thewater can come in-the hatch trim or the taillights. Yes I get a puddle in the spare tire well and some drops on thewheel arches-but that is the extent of it. Will test my theory unless someone else is willing to. This is the only reasonable explanation for those who are finding water on the hatch end of the struts IMO.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by daveb91

I think you and jc836 are correct. I took it off again, and saw a hairline crack in the seam filler at the end underneath the strip. I put some glue on it and put the gutter stip back on. I sprayed some water on it after the glue dried the next day, and it did not leak. I'll know for sure the next time it rains. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
sohcef9

Originally Posted by jc836
I keep reading this ongoing horror story and wonder why it is. Here is another view.
Our '89 Crx Si has a DX roof skin professionally installed as part of the race car setup. The gutter seals (long black strips) were replaced and the seams were properly welded and caulked. The squirter was replaced and sealed. The hatch seal was replaced. Why do I have leak-because the hatch galss has trim on it and the seal has deteriorated over 15 years. Remember that this car was dismantled except for the quarter windows themselves-new outer seals and caulking were done after paint. Thus there are only2 places thewater can come in-the hatch trim or the taillights. Yes I get a puddle in the spare tire well and some drops on thewheel arches-but that is the extent of it. Will test my theory unless someone else is willing to. This is the only reasonable explanation for those who are finding water on the hatch end of the struts IMO.
i have the same thing goin on in my 91 hatch..i suspected the tailights too...but its hard to tell..looks like the pannels are gettin stripped just to find the f-in problem.. ps..i hate rain