Notices

strange brakes, please help

Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 PM
shawn_crx8891

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange brakes, please help

ok, i was just out driving and my brake pedal started to feel funny, like i had too much brake fluid in the master cylinder. it was like this for probably 4 or 5 times of braking, and then i went to stop at a stoplight and the pedal went almost to the floor. i kept driving and the pedal would still go down further than usual, but by the time i got home it felt about normal again. i couldn't find any air or fluid leaks, so i am very confused. does anybody have any suggestions on what i should check? my brake fluid is in between max and min. thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

1) Flush and properly bleed the brake system.

2) If it's still acting funny, replace the master cylinder.

3) If it acts normal, watch the master cylinder for fuild loss. If fluid disappears, finely check all brake lines and MC for leaks. Replace as nessicary.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:44 PM
shawn_crx8891

how would i go about flushing the system? also i have a loud knock when i accelerate or brake semi-hard, like something is shifting back and forth. could this be in the brakes? oh and it only knocks after it rains or i wash the car. sounds funny, i know. thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
ED9man
driver

Your car probably leaks, duh :lmao:
Look in the well under the rear cargo area where the spare tire is, if the car is leaking the water is in there.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:06 AM
shawn_crx8891

what would that have to do with a loud knock coming from the front of the car? i'm checking today for loose bolts.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

it sounds like your fluid has air bubbles in it...completely flush the system

you could have also cooked your pads (heatsoaked them) so that they no longer work well and require more braking pressure to slow the car than normal...they can lead to the spongy pedal
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM
shawn_crx8891

actually they are carbon fiber kvr's so i seriously doubt they got too hot. i'll try flushing everything though, thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 PM
shawn_crx8891

another thing i noticed is that my car idles at about 1200 rpm, but i have been driving the car for a year and it has always idled right around 750. it started idling higher the same day my brakes started acting stange. could i have a faulty brake booster? my other crx had a bad booster and it would idle higher when i pushed on the brake pedal. just a thought though.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
crak600
Hi

Originally Posted by shawn_crx8891
how would i go about flushing the system? also i have a loud knock when i accelerate or brake semi-hard, like something is shifting back and forth. could this be in the brakes? oh and it only knocks after it rains or i wash the car. sounds funny, i know. thanks.
easiest way to flush the system:

get yourself 4 small diameter hoses that will fit over the bleeder screws. open the master cylinder, fill it with fluid. open up each bleeder screw so it starts to leak fluid slowly, and put a hose over each one and drain into an oil pan. keep an eye on the master cylinder and keep adding fluid as necessary. it'll take a while, but you don't want the bleeders gushing out fluid or else you're going to run the system dry really fast and have to start all over again.

i'd say go through maybe 12-16oz of fluid, depending on how large the master cylinder is AND how clean the brake fluid is coming out of the hoses. if it looks like coffee, keep flushing. if it's clean and clear, you're good.

close all 4 bleeder screws and follow standard bleeding procedures with a 2nd person to pump the brakes. you'll only need to do each brake set-up once because you've already flushed and bled the system using gravity, but you still want to do the pump/release bleeding method once on each corner to make fully sure that you're all set.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I wouldn't try that "gravity bleeding" method. Bleed as normal, starting with the farthest away from the master and working in.

(Right rear, left rear, right front, left front, traditionally)