Notices

Sunroof Problem

Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM
SweetJumper32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Problem

My 86 CRX Sunroof is having some major problems. I just bought the car, and the sunroof will only open manually. When I push the open/close button, I can hear the motor, and it seems to be strong, but the window doesn't even budge, like it's not hooked up to the window. In fact, I'm almost positive that it isn't hooked up. The guy said that it used to leak, so maybe when it was fixed, the motor wasn't connected back to the sunroof? How would I go about checking it? thanks, I'm sure someone can help.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
A_PHOBIA

honda dealer ship should be able to fix this a hell of a lot faster and better than any advice that could be offerd to you.it could have possibly slidden off the track or it could just be stuck in place from when they fixed it.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:55 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The cable is either stripped, or not connected.

It's not hard to remove the headliner and check it out, just watch for the A-pillar covers, they can crack pretty easy given the age.

Something else you can check, is the manual override, it's near the hatch, has a little plastic cover in the headliner, pop it out, and use an allen wrench to turn the wheel. If the sunroof moves, then the cable is hooked up, but if it doesn't, that's the problem. You shouldn't be able to move the sunroof by hand in any event.

For 1st Gen CRXs, don't, under any circumstances take them to the dealer. None of the techs there know what to do with something that old. You're far better off taking it to an older car shop, or doing it yourself.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 PM
SweetJumper32

I can open and close it with an allen wrench. It just seems that, the motor is not connected to the sunroof, because I can still hear the motor running when I push the button to open or close the roof.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

In that case, it sounds like the gears between the motor and cable are stripped, only way to find out is to take it apart though.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:31 AM
WhiteRice

my sunroof did this before. You might check this out before you rip your sunroof apart. The switch for the sunroof has 2 contacts for opening and 2 contacts for closing. What's happening, or what happened on mine is that only one of two contacts were making a connection. So there was some power to the motor and it wanted to move, but it just wasn't moving.

I had to pull pull out the switch and pop it open and clean the contacts with some sand paper. It's worked ever since.

Just an idea for you.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

1G CRX's had power sunroofs? My '87 Civic Si had a manual pop-up roof. Why would they only give the CRX a power roof? :thinking:
Old 08-05-2004, 05:38 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by Kai
1G CRX's had power sunroofs? My '87 Civic Si had a manual pop-up roof. Why would they only give the CRX a power roof? :thinking:
Because CRXs are the pimpness
Old 08-07-2004, 01:16 PM
B16CRXT

Originally Posted by Kai
Because old civics suck and CRX is the "sporty" honda of its age.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by B16CRXT
Because old civics suck and CRX is the "sporty" honda of its age.
The EC Civic Si was just as "sporty," it just has an extra pair of seats and ~25 pounds.