Notices

B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???

Old 08-12-2002, 04:49 AM
Project_Rage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???

I need to figer out what i would be happy with a B18 or a B16 I took a ride in a 90 civic hatch with a B16a and it was ok but not as fast as i was thinking it would be. the civic is running mid to low 14's.
So far i am leaning toward the B18B or B18A only because of the displacement.
( what is the difference ?? )

1. witch would be faster B18 in CRX or B16 in CRX ??

2. how is the after market for the B18 ??

3. what times should a B18 run VS B16 ??

4. can someone list everything i need to put in a B18 eg. what year engine , mounts i need , computer form what year teg , what tranny , axles everything , and any problems i might run into.

The engine will be stock for a while b4 i can mod it. Any other info i may need to know please add it in

Thax everyone.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:38 AM
ls/vtec-crx

I would probably suggest the B16 over the B18A or B any day. I myself have the B16 and my friend has the B18, when we race he get me off the line with his torque but i catch up to him and pass him in a matter of seconds. There is is also way more parts for the b16 and more potential.

Which ever motor you decide to go with you will need:
Hasport Engine Mounts
90-93 Integra Axles (Non ABS)
90-93 Integra Shift Linkage (Must shorten to fit properly)

It also depends on if your car is SI or not. If it is, it will make things alot easier in terms of wiring.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:29 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
It also depends on if your car is SI or not. If it is, it will make things alot easier in terms of wiring.
the hf also had the mpfi...the hf though has smaller axles and will require you to get knuckles from any 88-91 non 4spd manual civic hb or non hf crx

as for engine...you can always add a vtec head to the b18a or b18b and have good low end torque and the vtec upper stage powerband

the b16a will be more reliable than a ls/vtec or crvtec b/c it came like that straight from the factory
Old 08-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Project_Rage

in what gear does the B16 beat the B18 ??

I figered that starting with a biger engine would be better then starting with a smaller one.

with the whole reliability thing after you start to mod the car up will the B16 still be a better engion ??? or would both be about the same in reliability ??
Old 08-12-2002, 11:20 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Project_Rage
I figered that starting with a biger engine would be better then starting with a smaller one.

with the whole reliability thing after you start to mod the car up will the B16 still be a better engion ??? or would both be about the same in reliability ??
sometimes its best to have a bigger engine...the displacement has more torque and runs fine stock...just putting a vtec head on an engine not originally designed for it increases the risk slightly (b/c the engine has a longer stroke it is not designed with high revs in mind b/c of the friction involved)

a stock b18b is as reliable as a b16a...so mod for mod they will be the same...but with the ls/vtec or crvtec it slightly decreases reliability
Old 08-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Project_Rage

well i know that im not guna go LS VTEC it wasn't something i was looking at. But i was thinking of turbo later, but again that won't be for a few years.

how much more is a B18C ???

So is it hands down that the B16A will beat the B18a/b mod for mod without doing turbo, supercherger, or LS/Vtec ??

Old 08-12-2002, 06:43 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Project_Rage
how much more is a B18C ???

So is it hands down that the B16A will beat the B18a/b mod for mod without doing turbo, supercherger, or LS/Vtec ??
If you are thinking of boosting...actually certain you'll go that route...get the b18a or b18b...it is a lower compression engine and readily accepts much higher levels of boost than any of the dohc vtec engines...it's also easier to wire b/c no vtec (unless its going in a dpfi car)

the b18c runs around $3k for the swap and that doesn't include mounts, labor, misc parts, etc.

reliability the b16a is as reliable as any other stock b series engine...they are bulletproof n/a motors...adding forced induction stresses them in different ways than they were designed but htey can handle low amounts compared to their iron block cousins which are made for forced induction

performance...the b18b/a has much more low end torque and pull stronger at lower rpms...it makes daily driving much more fun b/c you don't need to shift as much...the b16a on a road track where you are always in the upper rpms is a better engine b/c it has better high end torque
Old 08-13-2002, 07:25 AM
Project_Rage

but if im to add a turbo im also going to have to do about $8000 of mods b4 i can use a good amount of boost i don't wana be only boosting 6PSI. then im looking at about $5000 - $6000 for the turbo and parts.

thats like $14,000 i sthis true ??

how much would 6PSI give u anyway
Old 08-13-2002, 08:13 AM
ronaldmcdonald

You can't really determine how much gains (I'm assuming you mean hp and/or torque) from psi/lbs of boost gains. It depends on a lot of stuff, like the turbo you're using, other hardware, the software, etc. 6lbs of boost does still sound pretty low though. I can't speak for Hondas, but I'm running an aftermarket turbo on my VW that makes 10lbs of boost from a Garret GT-28 turbo. Last time I went on the dyno, I got 222whp. My car makes around 130whp stock. But I'd definetly stay away from turboing the B16 b/c of possible reliability issues. Trust me, you don't want your car to be in the shop most of the year (like my POS VW). If you plan to road race the CRX, the stress would probably be even more intensified.

IMHO, I think it's a better route is just to go all motor. Personally I'd probably go with the Toda Racing stuff. If you want more torque and displacement, you might even want to get their bore and stroke kit that bores out the B16 to essentially a 1.8l and gives you that extra torque across the powerband.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:22 AM
ls/vtec-crx

on any honda motor, if your going to boost it, i think it's pointless unless your running 12-15psi. if your going to spend that much money on rebuilding the motor you might as well get the b16a b/c it will make more power than the b18 on the same amount of boost.

I would also suggest a Rev Hard turbo kit. They make kits for 88-91 civic/crx's with b series motors. they fit great and can push alot of air.

Quick Reply: B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???