Notices

B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???

Old 08-20-2002, 04:51 AM
Project_Rage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISP James said
do you have to custom make shift linkages for an LS-CRX swap

no man not yet right now im asking around to find out how much it guna be $$$ for the parts. as for the turbo im guna have to wait on that for now the swap is guna use up nuff funds. But ill be looking at that stuff soon.

1. I was told that if i don't change my tranny to hydro then i would have to go with a older engine ???

2. the REX is OBD 0 right ?? I should swap to OBD 1 for the B18

I want to go for as new of a engine as i can get.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:36 AM
WhiteRice

Originally posted by ISP James
build a junkyard turbo it is way cheaper, same efficiency for all practical purposes... i got my stuff from a DSM friend who upgraded, stock sidemount intercooler, stock turbo housing etc
:thumbup: WERD. I bought my T-25 from a guy on www.dsm.org i think that is the link. i could be wrong though. Luckily he lived close so I could pick it up and save on shipping....that sucker was heavy!!!!!

I'm Building a JYT for my ZC...it's more fun that way too!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:39 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to go through this about a month ago, I ultimately went for the B16 over the B18, price was a factor, not much, but for your CRX, you can get a B16 with cable tranny and propper ECU bolted right up almost directly.. a friend of mine swapped in a 1st gen B16 into his 91 CRX, no major modifications.

I was going to get the 1st gen, with cable- hydro conversion, but it's not reliable (as I was told). You could also just swap the trannies. I am very happy with my B16, I'd suggest that, for you, less headache about small tedious things to work together, just my opinion.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

With decent tuning, you can put down over 200WHP at 10psi on an LS, with good tuning you can put down more at 12psi, and if you're spot-on you can run between 14 and 20 on stock internals. Of course, if anything's wrong, the LS rods could fold under the combustion pressures at 14psi...

I love NA builds, but if ultimate power is what you're after, nothing beats the sound of a BOV
Old 08-22-2002, 10:42 AM
Project_Rage

it would be nice to push 200WHP but that’s guna be a little while.

1. so it sounds as if I stay with cable then ill be picking up older tranny and engine. TRUE OR FAULSE
Old 08-22-2002, 12:34 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Project_Rage
if I stay with cable then ill be picking up older tranny and engine. TRUE OR FAULSE
true...i do not know of any current cable manual tranny hondas in north america
Old 08-22-2002, 07:10 PM
ronaldmcdonald

I guess the newest possible B16a with the cable tranny would be the one that came off the JDM Integra Xsi, iirc it was something like a 92 and/or 93 model. It should be a little newer, and it's probably a 2nd gen B16a, but I doubt you're going to get less than 40k miles even on that one. It also cost some $500 more than the usual B16a 1st gen, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:36 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the newest cable tranny honda b series car i know is the 93 tegs in the US...in 94 they switched over to the b18b and b18c with hydro units...the del sol with the b16a2 had a hydro as well...honda just stopped making them

as for driving with either...both work fine...my accord with the hydro has a smoother engagement but nothing to make me want all that extra weight and complication over a cable unit
Old 08-23-2002, 07:34 AM
Project_Rage

ronaldmcdonald im going with the B18 not the B16 i got more options later with that form what i have been hearing and seeing.

ok im going to go with the hydro cause i want to get the newer engine.

Computers

if i can hook up with a 98 B18B or something i should make it OBD 1 right
I herd that with OBD 2 the computer tries to keep the engine at its normal vitals thereby not giving you the power you would really get form your mod. true ??? should i go OBD1
Old 08-23-2002, 08:03 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you can get the newer b series engine and put on an older cable b series tranny...they are all interchangeable

Quick Reply: B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???