Notices

B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???

Old 08-13-2002, 09:36 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with a intercooler and proper tuning to eliminate detonation you can safely and reliably run 10-12 lbs boost on an b18b/a or b20b/z engine...they accept boost more readily than the higher compression vtec engines
Old 08-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Project_Rage

ls/vtec-crx

how does your CRX run ?? what mods do you have ?? and how has it compared to others with B16's? ?

everyone else

for some reason i still want to side with the B18A or B just because of the displacement. I have grown up around V8's all my life and i have to say they have been right when it comes to engine size. i mean u can't go crazy oversize cause u loose your handling but with I bigger engine Im not seeing how the B16 will be able to keep up to the B18 in the long run.

I understand that the Vtec helps and all and u can change up all sorts of other parts, thing is can't you do that to the B18 and make the same gains?? at some point doesn't the B18 surpass the B16 ??

It seems to me like Vtec is something given to a week engine to make it run like a bigger engine. I know there reliable though

Does anyone know of any good sites showing a B18 and B16 swap ??
Old 08-15-2002, 10:19 AM
ls/vtec-crx

it runs really good. now i have a b18b block with a b16a head so know i have the best of both worlds. bottom end torque and top end.

in the block i have a fully balanced bottom end with type r pistons and a str block guard.

in the head i have crower cams, crower valve springs and retainers, ferrea stainless valves, it's been ported and polished, a skunk2 intake manifold with a holley throttle body. the only important thing about an ls/vtec is that you have to run a reprogramable computer.

at my elevation it should run at a 13.2 and at see level it should run about a 12.5

i'm actually going to run it next friday on full slicks and advance the timing with race gas.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Project_Rage

sound great actually yesterday i was talking with a few ppl and i am going with the LS engine.

The only thing i need to know what do i need. can u make me a parts list just so i know what year parts im looking for and what will fit into my CRX without any mojor trouble ??

one other question would you ever go back to a B16 ???
Old 08-16-2002, 09:01 AM
ls/vtec-crx

Parts list you will need.
Engine Mounts - Hasport
90-93 Integra Axles Non ABS
90-93 Integra Upper Rad Hose (LS)
90-93 Integra Lower Rad Hose (optional) you can squeeze your stock onto the motor.
90-93 Integra Throttle Cable
90-93 Integra Clutch Cable (optional)

The exhuast flange that comes off the header that bolts to your exhuast is set at a different angle. you must cut you flange on the exhuast side and weld it back to same position as the ls header.

Yes i would go back to a b16a only if it wuz fully built for turbo so that i could a safe 15psi and then like 22-25psi at the track.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Project_Rage

Thax for the info

a few other questions.

1. how hard is it to convert my car to hydro instead of cable.

2. what year engine can i go with as a cable??

3. if i change to hydro then what engine can i go with

any prices on hydro conversion this ???
Old 08-18-2002, 07:22 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Project_Rage
1. how hard is it to convert my car to hydro instead of cable.

2. what year engine can i go with as a cable??

3. if i change to hydro then what engine can i go with

any prices on hydro conversion this ???
1. It's not too hard to convert (only adds weight and costs more money b/c you have to buy a bunch of parts)...you can also buy a j1/s1 cable tranny and bolt it on any b series block and not have to convert
2. the b16a1 is cable and all 2g teg engines were cable (b17a, b18a)
3. all non b16a1 engines are hydro...all b18b/b18c/b20b/b20c engines come with a hydro tranny
Old 08-19-2002, 09:21 AM
ls/vtec-crx

1. you have to get a lot of parts to run the hydro tranny. it's really not worth the extra work and money.

2.you can go with any motor for the cable tranny. you can use a b18b which is 94 and up integra or a b16a2 which is a 92 up civic sir motor in japan. any b series motor will bolt up to any b series tranny.

3.remember any b series tranny will bolt up to any b series motor so even if you get an 90 b18a or a 89-91 b16a1 they both will bolt up to the hydraulic tranny. just as long as the tranny is a b series tranny.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:07 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

build a junkyard turbo it is way cheaper, same efficiency for all practical purposes... i got my stuff from a DSM friend who upgraded, stock sidemount intercooler, stock turbo housing etc.... i know with my eg if you put the sidemount intercooler into the lower resonator area (in front of the pass. side front wheel well, you can use a CAI pipe for your upper intercooler pipe.... look into options like this it will save you big $$$

do you have to custom make shift linkages for an LS-CRX swap or is there one that you can bolt and go with?
Old 08-19-2002, 07:09 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

oh yeah then get your turbo manifold from ebay, manual boost controller, any parts store has stuff you will need for your oil lines its really pretty basic just a little more time consuming than clicking on "add 1 to cart" for a complete kit someplace but if you do it right you find all your turbo needs for around 500 bucks

Quick Reply: B16A or B18A ?? what to do ???