Notices

90 CRX HF 1.5 Loss of Power

Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 AM
90CRXTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 CRX HF 1.5 Loss of Power

I have a 90 CRX HF 1.5 ltr. in which I have installed an MSD ignition system, K&N Air Filter System, a new Header and exhaust system. After I initially finished adding all the bolt on accessories it performed great. However recently I have had some issues with it running very rich, a loss of power and mileage. It seems impossible to keep a consistent idle speed and continually hunts for one. When tuning, I can get it to idle smooth at 950-1000 rpm but after running for a short time it goes into hunting mode and will fluxuate between 500-1100 rpm. Also at times it will act as if it is running out of gas from a dead stop. I have tried a few things; using spray injector cleaner, changing O2 sensor, timing and idle speed, etc... all to no avail. Also, when starting it tends to start harder than it ever has before. Typically, a turn of the key and vroom, it starts immediately. But now it turns over several times before starting. It seems as though it may be a fuel system problem? Any advise? Thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
ED9man
driver

fuel pump, fuel filter?

I'd get rid of that POS HF motor,
You do know you are probably putting 50 hp to the ground? There are ride on lawnmowers that make almost that much.
It is one of the weakest motors Honda ever made.
ANY other D-series will be an improvement, for really cheap I'd try and find the Si motor, D16A6. It should be pretty straightforward because you won't have to convert to multipoint because you already have it. Also the HF chassis is very light, you save 200 pounds versus an Si. Just upgrade your wheels and tires and you'll be on par. You wont need to buy mounts or anything and you can reuse your performance parts. I wouldn't bother with the igniton though, just make sure the stock one is in good shape, there's no need for it on a motor with only a couple bolt ons. At the very least find an Si transmission, the HF is geared far too tall.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:57 AM
warren91

actualy i have been on a ride on lawn mower that had 155 hp, and 200 ft lbs of torqe at 3000 hp, and it is a hydrostatic system, so its allways running at peak power. kinda sad if u ask me when i look at my dx motor
Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM
90CRXTC

I appreciate the input and I have toyed around with the idea of swapping engines however the v-tech was the one I had thought of. How much of an ordeal would it be to do that?

But first, the task at hand. I replaced the fuel filter about 10k ago. If it were the fuel filter, would that prevent it from finding an idle speed? It runs great at the higher end. ????
Old 08-01-2004, 05:31 PM
ED9man
driver

Allow for a $3000 budget if you are doing it yourself.
I don't know, are your injectors clean?