Notices

My CRX Story...

Old 08-11-2002, 08:57 PM
SoSoDef24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CRX Story...

So I was looking for an import as my first car... a 90' CRX Si specifically. I live in Redding, CA about 3 hours north of the bay area and any import action. I found a CRX on autotrader that was at some impound lot. So, one saturday i went to the lot. The guy was askin $1850. The car had 225K on it and needed a clutch. Let me say that I didn't know anything about Honda's except for that I wanted one. Anyways, there was some things wrong with it that I first saw, no side moldings, bad paint, a few dents, and some other exterior cosmetic stuff. I took it for a test drive and it ran pretty good as well. I then looked under the hood and everything look in place, or so i thought (again i had no clue about hondas before this purchase).

anyways, i was interested, but felt i could get a better deal. my dad talked the guy all the way down to $1000 and i was physched because i would have a whole nother $1000 to customize with. however, the clutch was so bad that me (being a new driver) could not drive it 3 hours to home, so i had my dad do it. I stupidly bought a body kit as soon as i got home on ebay.

the next day i looked around under the car and found that the whole muffler was blown and the exhaust pipes were trash as well, they weren't even connected. i then immeadietly bought a muffler off ebay, again very stupid. i also bought a clutch and some rims off ebay, which was again were big mistakes.

when i got all the stuff my asian friend sou that knows a lot about hondas came over. when we popped the hood and spent all the time to put in the clutch, we found out that it wouldn't fit, we then looked over the engine and tranny and found that they were the D16Y8 V-Tech from a 98 Civic. So, the clutch stuff was al screwed up.

when i got my body kit, it was damaged and i couldn't send it back. so, we tried to install it anyways and found out that the car didn't have a bumper at all, just the bumper cover.

getting more irritated i got my rims, and found that they were 5 instead of 4 lug, i couldn't return them either.

when i got the muffler, i couldn't install it because it wouldn't fit right. so, i took it to a muffler shop and they said i needed a new exhaust manifold, catalittic converter, 02 sensor, pipes, and muffler, and that it would be $1100. so, we bought it.

since all of that nonsense i have found that the impound lot just pieced together a CRX with a 98 Civic. Using parts from a totaled civic to make an almost totaled CRX a normal looking car. Anyways, I am still at it and the only real thing that has changed is the custom exhaust system.

my plans are to replace all of the civic parts on the car with custom crx parts, then get rims, and then get it painted. this has been the hardest struggle of my life and has taken most of my summer up. i am going to stick with it though and stay motivated, becaue CRX's RULE!!!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:21 PM
b00gers

whoa thats a whole shat you went through.

it good to be patient.

good luck with it man.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 PM
cwhiteboy

whoa.. well, thats not that bad of an engine I think. Its got more power than the si, I think it has aprox. 130hp. goodluck with your new rex, there great cars.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Taq'd out
not your average CRXer

well look on the bright side, it was already swapped for you
Old 08-12-2002, 06:43 AM
SoSoDef24

yeah that is true, especially since i don't know enough to do it myself. but it just made me made after i bought it because there were so many others for around the same price in the bay area. oh well i'll stick it out with this car.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:42 AM
WhiteRice

Not to sound like a hard-ass but atleast you're learning stuff, quickly!!! But that does suck. Gotta learn some how though!!!

G'luck and ask us all questions...that's what this board is for!!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:33 AM
excitid

I know you want your car running good but ask for a little help before you go spending too much cash on stock parts. I hope for the 1100 you got a aftermarket header and an actual catback exhaust and muffler. Did you get a clean title. If the exhaust was that terrible it should have been loud as hell when you tested it. Well good luck on the project you will find this to be one of the better forums to get help in. Are you selling any of the stuff that won't fit. Post some pics if you can.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:08 PM
SoSoDef24

i got the aftermarket header and catback exhaust and muffler. the stuff has already been sold for the car. for some reason it didnt sound extremely loud when we tested it, so maybe something happened on the ride home. anyways thanks for you guys' help.