Notices

Rear trailing arm bushings

Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
wagon89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear trailing arm bushings

Anyone ever done the rear trailing arm bushings on a 4th gen? IM looking at changing them soon with energy suspension black urethane. I already chenged the shocks and tierods need to get this done so I can get the alignment done. I have done them on a GTi the Honda looks like PITA.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:59 AM
m735is

It is a PITA but not too bad. You can either carefully cut them out (what I did) or have them pressed out. Although I did poly control and stock rubber lower shock mounts. If you live in salty road area use a lot of PB BLaster especially on the bolts you can't get to both ends-like inner front lower control arms. Ask me how I know!
I need to do the poly trailing arms this weekend- not looking foward to that, I've already tried to get the attaching bolts out and I know I'm almost breaking them. Lots of PB Blaster!!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
wagon89

Well my car came apart easy, I recommend using a makita with a heavy wire brush to clean the pin. I ground the pin first with a grinding disc to get it as close as I could before the wire brush treatment.
The trailing arm took like a good hour plus to clean out the hole of all bonded rubber I used a dremel tool with a 80 grit sanding drum.
Make sure to wear a dust mask

Anyone else you has not bought these bushings you will need (2) 3 1/4 washers and a 6 inch bolt about 1/2 inch dia the instructions say to use a 4 1/2 inch bolt but that did not seem long enough to press in the new bushings.

The trailing arm does not need to be removed from the car.

Just undue the comp arm, remove the bolts from the pin and the arm hangs down plenty far enough to work on. Take care not to stress the brake hose.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i have a brand new prothane polyurethane rear trailing arm bushing for sale if you are interested