Notices

ef9 conversion and now big problems

Old 06-26-2004, 01:01 PM
JAMSiR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ef9 conversion and now big problems

Hey everyone, I just finished my ef9 front end conversion ( I will post pics later). Every light on the car went fine and when I finally turned on the car, everything was ok at first but I noticed that when I turned on the lights, my tachometer started to go bezerk and my engine started to choke, I was like wtf and then, nothing at all, my car wont start and the following symptoms are present.
1- car doesn't start at all
2- none of the lights comme on
3- when I turn the knob for the lights, my temperature guage goes all the way up
4- beeping sound ( the one that anoys you when you start the car) is almost inaudible
5- when I press on the button for the hazard lights, there's a weird buzzing sound that starts.

In my wiring for the front end, I matched the colours of the low and high beams for the h4 plugs and everything worked fine. I took the new horns from the front end and soldered the new plugs and horns. turn signals didnt have any modification. as for the corners, the remaining plug that was unused y cut and I soldered wires all the way to the sidemarkers on the fenders. Every light worked perfectly.

I'm really clueless on what to do. PLease help me!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 PM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

can you be more specific in your definition of EF9 conversion??

Meaning, did you do a whole new engine, and exterior changes, so you had to rewire for the new motor?? or is it simply you got fenders, hood, headlights, rad support - only the exterior stuff.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:30 PM
JAMSiR

only the exterior stuff (front end) not the engine
Old 06-27-2004, 05:26 PM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

for problems 1, 2, and 5, it sounds like electrical issues, like you've blown fuses or relays. Double check your fuse box, both of them (in engine compartment and dash) and make sure those havent blown. if you have, see which ones they are and then check connections on that area. did you use both ground wires for the H4H (that is what your headlight bulbs actually are, you need both ground wires as well as the power wires)

for the horns and sidemarkers, why did you cut stuff/solder?? the horns should've used connectors that just plug and played

sounds like its mostly fuses, thats why the headlights are off and the hazards are making noise. I also know that if the battery isnt on right, and you try to start the car with the headlights on, it clicks and wont start – happened to me just the other day. make sure you have a good battery connection.

also (sorry for all the questions): do you have any pics of your setup?? that also might help some things. mostly pics of your connections, etc.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:09 PM
JAMSiR

Problem solved, turned out I had a bad flasher relay and a bad ground between my left headlight structure and engine. as for the horns, they now work perfectly. I had to solder on new plugs for the plug and play unit because I dindn't have any before . I will now be able to horn does bastards who drive like maniacs!!! tly fuses, thats why the headlights are off and the hazards are making noise.
By the way thanks a lot schwanginpt for your article on ef8 hood latch! It helped me a lot for my ef9 front end conversion. I'll post pics as soons as I can to show you the final product!
Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:08 AM
schwanginpt
Nadene will Return

sure thing man. glad you got everything working ok with the car. now! :goodjob:

yea, post some pics up when you can, cause i'd like to see your ride