Notices

shifter Q

Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter Q

ok i need a new shifter, but i dont know which ones will work with my 91 hatch. i know they should all bolt up and shit, but i think theres clearence issues underneath. for example..i bought a shifter off ebay and it was supposed to be a 8891 civic/crx but the dood sent a 94+ integra. i thought 'well hey all shifters should work' and attempted to install it and it bolted up but it was hitting on the underside. hard to explain but it DIDNT work (theres two rods underneath the shifter that run to the tranny, it was bumping into it and it wouldnt work). so now im wondering which shifter i need. i dont know if this has anything to do with it but i have a 91 ls motor with a welded shift linkage also. any help is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 PM
v8guy
Professor

What's wrong with your original shifter? Someone made mine ('91 CRX Si) into a short-throw by cutting off the threads and putting an aftermarket aluminum knob on it. I didn't like it so I replaced it with a factory one from an '88 CRX HF. It fit just fine.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:03 PM
jackasssi
Allstar

Cutting off the top does not make a short throw, its the difference in length under the pivot point.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:53 PM
v8guy
Professor

Yes it does, learn geometry. However it is not the best way to shorten the throw because it decreases the amount of leverage and consequently increases the effort needed to change gears. Lengthening the bottom part of the shifter shortens the throw and increases leverage, a far superior way to go.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:46 PM
menappi

the dude who had my car before me cut the shifter on the top part, and i dont like it. the short shifter i bought before was too long on the underside and it hit the other rod thats next to the shift linkage, so maybe i have to get a stock shifter? i guesse lengthening the bottom part makes it shorter when shifting?? but i want a shifter thats not so high up like a stock one. what should i do?
Old 06-27-2004, 05:54 PM
v8guy
Professor

If the cut shifter didn't hit anything then another stock one should work ok. Thats what I did for the exact same reason. I didn't like the cut shifter either. So either get another stock one like I did or look into getting an aftermarket short-throw shifter that is made the right way.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:47 PM
menappi

hrm...all i want is a shifter thats stock on the bottom part, but shorter on the top part, sorta like how mine was broken, but with threads and a little longer. do they make short shifters like that or just with the botton part extended? i know i could prob have a stock one cut and welded???
Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
A_PHOBIA

try b and m
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
v8guy
Professor

The stock knob is really tall. If you just want the shifter a little shorter maybe get a stock shifter and find a shorter knob for it, possibly off something in the junkyard or maybe aftermarket. I read about someone doing that on some forums somewhere.