Notices

CRX VS S13 240sx.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:46 PM
HAZE
Just Hazin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX VS S13 240sx.

I currently have an I-4 02' Accord. Im goin to LA next year and ive put far too much money into that car to risk getting it jacked...plus its pretty much slammed with half a finger gap b/t the wheel wells, which wont agree with LA's rough roads and @sshole drivers.
Anyhow, i am debating b/t a 1989-1992 240sx or a 1988-1991 CRX. I plan to get an engine swap for either car when i get it.
For the 240, a KA24DE, which makes 160hp/163tq. For the CRX, a USDM B16, makin about 160hp/130-140ishTQ. Yes, the 240sx is RWD with more torque, but the CRX is lighter. They both cost about the same for the initial car, but the b16 swap will be more costly then a KA swap. My buddy on my team has a B18 GS-R engine CRX and is running 12.9secs STOCK. Pretty scary...but too crazy for me.
I just want a fun, quick car that is reliable with good mileage, and as far as im concerned, both cars would be able to pass smog even with the swaps. What do you guys think? Close call imo..
Old 06-25-2004, 09:50 PM
A_PHOBIA

whatare you going to be using your car for? do you wanna get side ways?or do you want a crx thats gonna whoop the piss outa that 240?i prefer frd because i have more controll plus im less likely to get killed pulling one of my manuvers"sp"anyways its all about what you want.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:04 PM
v8guy
Professor

RWD all the way. Torque steer = :ghey:
Old 06-25-2004, 10:05 PM
HAZE
Just Hazin'

i want a car that i can feel, something that will take off and handle turns really well, and at the same time look decent. I've driven my Accord for quite a while, so i want something that can take off really fast, yet have the suspension capability to handle the power.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:57 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by v8guy
RWD all the way. Torque steer = :ghey:
on a low powered lightweight car (ala CRX) torque steer is not a big issue...anything with over 200ftlbs to the wheels makes it bad (but only if you want to drive it that hard)
Old 06-26-2004, 07:51 AM
v8guy
Professor

Don't get me wrong, FWD has its own advantages. Launching hard from a dead stop is not one of them. I notice torque steer with my stock 108hp but whoopty do, if I felt like doing wicked holeshots I'd drive my 5.0. Similarly, I wouldn't want to go in to combat with a steak knife nor would I want to eat dinner with a K-Bar. Each knife is superior for its intended purpose.

I don't know much about nissans so I can't really comment on the 240sx but I'd recommend a RWD layout for drag racing and FWD for general driving. I will say that my CRX is fun to drive, handles well, and gets good mileage. I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:16 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by v8guy
Don't get me wrong, FWD has its own advantages. Launching hard from a dead stop is not one of them. I notice torque steer with my stock 108hp but whoopty do, if I felt like doing wicked holeshots I'd drive my 5.0. Similarly, I wouldn't want to go in to combat with a steak knife nor would I want to eat dinner with a K-Bar. Each knife is superior for its intended purpose.

I don't know much about nissans so I can't really comment on the 240sx but I'd recommend a RWD layout for drag racing and FWD for general driving. I will say that my CRX is fun to drive, handles well, and gets good mileage. I'm pretty happy with it.
i agree that a rwd car (especially with a larger torquey engine is a superior platform for drag racing...but when you are moving the advantage is lessened immensely (got a buddy who runs 12.4s in a rather ugly looking civic sedan with h22a and a 100shot of nitrous...it is also his daily driver and a good sleeper)
Old 06-26-2004, 04:13 PM
v8guy
Professor

Totally, thats why FWD guys always want to race from a roll or on the highway. If I turbo my CRX it will be to pass people on the highway, not to drag race. If I turbo my Mustang, it will be to drag race, AND pass people on the highway. Drag racing really has very little to do with real-world driving, but it sure is fun, especially at stoplights. Unfortunately, such behavior is really illegal and not recommended. Why is it that so many really fun things are dangerous and illegal? (retorical question, no need to answer) Anyway, I used to have a Saab 900 turbo (FWD), and that car was a blast to drive. I never drag raced it but man was it nice to come ripping off an entrance ramp in 3rd with the turbo fully spooled cranking out max boost. I'd love to make my CRX move like that thing did. Handled great in the snow too, where is where FWD has it all over RWD.

Anyway, if drag racing isn't the main priority I say CRX all the way, but then again I'm prejudiced.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:24 PM
HAZE
Just Hazin'

so....that brings the question to what type of B16...? I want to pass smog. Also, how much will the engine run? I have a friend that can handle the labor.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:47 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I think i'd rather have a fast CRX than a 5.0 anyday. I've driven both and that's my opinion, but the 240 could be a great car. Good luck deciding that one... for traffic and tight spots the smaller car has obvious advantages.