Notices

1.6 SOHC 16valve Twin Keihin autobox tickover

Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 AM
concerto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 SOHC 16valve Twin Keihin autobox tickover

Hi,
I've got a '92 Concerto 1.6litre, 16 valve with an automatic transmission and twin Keihin carbs (I'm guessing the engine's used in some Civic models hence why I posted this here).

Mounted on the side of the right carb is some kind of tickover valve thing with vacuum and water pipes going into it. Its got a piston coming out of the bottom that pushes on a lever that controls the tickover on both carbs. Or it rather it should push on the lever but doesn't. Its knackered and the motor "idles" at over 2000rpm.

Apparently this is a known problem for this setup but Honda will only sell the valve with an entire carb (for the princely sum of 570 quid).

Does anyone recognise what I'm talking about and better still know how it can be fixed?
thanks for any advice,
concerto
Old 06-22-2004, 08:29 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

I've never even seen such a setup, let alone have any immediate advice for you... Pictures?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:15 AM
concerto

This document has a diagram of it:

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/Concert...sk301/6-19.pdf

When I said right carb I meant as you look at the engine bay i.e. really the left carburettor. Twice the document says "If not replace the left carburettor". That seems so excessive if its just the "thermowax valve" thats faulty.

Driving to work this morning it was behaving itself again, but its done that before only to relapse later.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:01 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

That's some kind of crazy... Is there no way to remove that valve and disconnect the choke? I realize then that you will be stuck with a very tempermental machine until it does so [I have dual webers on mine, I know tempermental], but it could be worth it to rid yourself of such choke related problems.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 PM
v8guy
Professor

570 quid, my lord thats steep. What about simply disconnecting the whole setup and converting the car to manual choke. You would have to buy a choke cable and run it inside the car. You can buy a universal choke cable here in the states for around 10 or 20 dollars, i imagine it would be similarly priced over in the UK, perhaps 10 quid.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:08 AM
concerto

Thanks for the feedback. I think my first plan will be to try and find decent quality secondhand valve. Sounds like its rarer than I thought though. Ho hum, knew I should of got something fuel injected.