Notices

How tight should I make the shifter bolt.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:53 PM
v8guy
Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tight should I make the shifter bolt.

The PO hacked the threads off the shifter on my SI and installed some stupid aluminum knob incorrectly in a retarded attempt to create a "short-throw" shifter. I got a proper shifter and knob out of an '88 HF at the boneyard and installed it today. I greased up the ball part and the little bushings with lithium grease and put it all back together. My question, how tight do I make the 12mm bolt that holds the shift rod on the shifter. Right now it is barely snug, as I didn't want to crush the plastic & rubber bushings. How tight should it be?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

however tight you think it should be? check how it feels with different tightness levels, and go from there. obviously, dont crank the bolt down all the way, and mess up the bushings.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:51 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

put some threadlock on just in case too...
Old 06-20-2004, 08:31 PM
v8guy
Professor

Ok thanks. It seems to be all right where it is, but I may snug it up a little bit more. I was afraid of crushing the little bushings, especially after I cleaned them and lubed them up with lithium grease. The bolt appears to be self-locking, but I suppose some threadlock wouldn't hurt.