Notices

brake help needed

Old 06-19-2004, 01:05 AM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake help needed

i have two problems.

-one of my brake pads sometimes rubs on the rotor after i let off the brake pedal. if i give it a few taps it will usually stop. how can i fix this?

-im leakin a little bit of brake fluid and it seems to be coming out of where the master cylinder and the brake booster are bolted together. its slowly going down and stripping the black paint off of the booster (i think its the booster). any idea if theres supposed to bea gasket or what i should do to fix it. i just replaced the big black part (is it the booster)??
Old 06-19-2004, 06:13 AM
v8guy
Professor

90% of the time a sticking caliper is caused by a bad BRAKE HOSE, not a bad caliper. Brake hoses, like calipers, should be replaced in pairs, because if one is bad the other is soon to follow. What happens is that the hose gets old and sorta spongey, so when you step on the pedal it expands, lets fluid through, and then collapses, trapping fluid in the caliper and causing the pads to drag. Of course a bad caliper will do this too, but like I said 90% of the time it is the hose, not the caliper, that has gone south. You are really supposed to replace the hoses any time you replace the calipers so its not like you are wasting money if you end up needing calipers anyway. Inspect your calipers, and if they look good just replace the hoses.

If you are leaking fluid from between the master cylinder and the brake booster your master cylinder is blown and needs to be replaced. The seals inside it have gone bad.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:53 AM
mullinator

I wouldn't have suspected a brake hose, but that explanation sounds very plausible. I would check the condition of the bolts on which the caliper floats. If the boot isn't in good condition, the bolt might attract dirt, etc, and bind up. -scott