Notices

squeezin' subs?!?

Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 AM
whitej47
whitej47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeezin' subs?!?

Hey yo- new user. I have been reviewing the forums for bout 6 mos. now and have just decided to join now. I wanted to wait till my ride was somewhat worthy of pics on the scene. I have '91 hatch that cost 2 g's and have been customizing ever since. i just started with the system last week and plan to fit one 12" in a big box. It is powered by two amps: one cheapiy 1200W and the a better power bass booster amp. i am also running 8 other mids/higs in the car and i plan on it making some good noise. i want to know however, the sacrifice that i will have to make due to eliminating the rear megan strut in order to fit the box. the box eats up most of the avilable sapce in the "trunk" and i would like to be able to keep the srut and have the rear view mirrior fall off of the windshield at the same time. suggestions? comments? also- does any one have prior knowledge on this topic and what have yall done 'bout it? much appreciated...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy shyt! That's alot of power to be pushing one 12" sub with! What brand is it and how many ohms is the amp putting on. I don't see how a 12" sub in a box with 2 amps could take up the whole trunk. I used to have an 89' accord that housed two 15's in a custom box with a 1600w amp bolted to the back of the back seats. Even with the subs I still had room to spare (but not a whole lot, maybe like 2 cubic feet.) And what exactly is a megan strut? You should post a few pics, those help out alot. By the way, welcome to the board boss! :wavey:
Old 06-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

1200 watts, good starter amp :P

umm i have no idea what you are talking about with that megan strut.

you can put 5 or more cubes in there easily... hehe.

I had an Orion 2500d (2500x1@1 ohm) on my Digital Designs 9512e and she sung
Old 06-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Pete
Civilian

Originally Posted by Bmpn
I had an Orion 2500d (2500x1@1 ohm) on my Digital Designs 9512e and she sung
@ 1 Ohm :shocked: How big was the sub?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:16 AM
whitej47
whitej47

I got a dhd 1200w and a sony power bass booster w/600w.
the problem is this is all in a hatch. when i have the strut/upper stabilizer bar in the car, it goes strait across-this is the bar on the upper tower that reduces body flex around corners. since it goes strist across, it practically cuts the cargo space in half. the box is a hugh custom port that is about 2.5'X2'X1.5'. this means that box would actuall have to have a notch through it in order to fit with the strut, but this in turn completely eliminates the purpose of a sealed box and would not prefprm at all. i need to know about any custom bars, or maybe i could fab some that arch up over the box. waddya think-all?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:21 AM
whitej47
whitej47

12" audiobahn that can handle at least 1000w easy. there is also the option of using an xplod that can carry 800w and my friend has xtra just collecting dust that i could hook up...not sure bout the ohms and all i just know how to hook ish up-u know?
homie has a 01 altima that kicks and he runs the similar setup and it rocks tha party! it really rattles my teeth , unfortunately he kinda just happened upon the setup by trial-and-error. but he has bout 8 or 9 bills (wholesale)into the ride and it would make my hatch jump like it is on air or somin.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:21 AM
slammed91-hatch

i think that by adding all that weight you are loosing quite a bit of handling potential anyways. why add all that weight and then feel the need for the strut bar? If you were to make something that bends over it would probably just flex and not help at all. You can get the swap bar off the si which goes under the car which will help and won't be in your cargo space.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:23 AM
whitej47
whitej47

yeah i know about the stock strut but i also have the lower tie setup that helps with the lower end flex...i like ur diff colours on the hatch too i have a white on tan hatchy with gunmetal tenzos
Old 06-18-2004, 03:24 AM
Pete
Civilian

I think you should just choose man. Either the sub or the strut bar. Slammed has a good point with losing the handling abilities anyway with the weight of the amps and the sub. If it were me, I'd take the sub. You can always take it out and put the strut bar back in if you ever plan on going auto-x or just cruisin around anyway.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:15 PM
A_PHOBIA

well you could cut the bar then re weld to 4 or 5 inch peices of alloy up and then re connet it over the box.does that make sense

_____-----------------_____

Quick Reply: squeezin' subs?!?