Notices

Anybody have a Dynomax Cat-back?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:13 PM
v8guy
Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a Dynomax Cat-back?

Wondering if anyone here has or has seen a dynomax super-turbo cat back on a CRX? If so how did it sound and perform? It appears that the same exhaust fits CRXs and 3dr civics, part number 17452.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:46 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you sure that its a catback? i thought they only make a rear section exhaust.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

well, this is new to me. i guess they do make catback exhausts systems for imports.

i know that dynomax makes great performing and long lasting mufflers. they are popular in the fwd nissan crowd. i know a few people who've had d-max mufflers for several years, and havent had any probs.

their piping looks nice, but i dont know how well it performs.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:57 AM
v8guy
Professor

I have a dynomax kit on my Mustang and I'm really pleased with it. The quality and fit are excellent and it is pretty quiet. Since my CRX needs an exhaust anyway, I figured I'd look into a dynomax for it. The 5.0 dynomax super turbo kit outflows almost all the much louder mufflers. I was hoping for similar results for the Honda.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 PM
v8guy
Professor

I got the kit from summit. It turned out to only be a muffler kit. It still utilizes the factory mid-pipe. My local foreign parts place had a bosal OEM replacemet in stock so I went with that. I did notice that the pipe that came off was a two piece pipe, half of which was missing, and was 2" in diameter, evidently part of some aftermarket setup installed long ago. The OEM replacement pipe is only 1 3/4 diameter. The dynomax kit bolts right up to it but is 2 1/4" with dual 2" tailpipes. They have nice stainless tips too, but on mine they welded them on wrong so they are slightly cockeyed. This was a liittle dissapointing but I didn't have time to send them back as I had to drive the car 200 miles back from where my parents live to where I live in order to get it inspected before my stupid 5 day transport tag expired. I did notice an improvement in low-end torque after the install, and the sound is great. All you hear is the engine now, LOL. Very quiet. Overall, I'm pleased, especially consiering the price. The Dynomax kit is $159.95 from summit and the mid pipe was $70 from my local parts place.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

hmph, so i guess it isn't a full exhaust. i was reading their site and they made it seem like it was a full exhaust because they were talking about better flow with a 2" pipe:dunno:
Old 06-10-2004, 05:08 AM
v8guy
Professor

I was under the same impression, very misleading. However, I am still happy with the kit.

Evidently most of the power gain comes from a better muffler. Here is something I pulled off of crx.honda-perf.org

Exhaust System
Okay, we got the intake covered but we need to get rid of the exhaust gases. So from block to tip, you need to look at the header, catalytic converter, muffler/ tip. There’s a million different options for these so you may find things better priced or no longer available etc.

Muffler- I suggest only muffler/ axle back and not a full cat back system because Mugen (THE Honda perf authority) has found on several models that including a new B-pipe provides little or no improvements over the stock B pipe. Of course, this doesn’t stop just about every manufacturer of full exhaust systems from including the B pipe and passing on the accompanying expense.

Option 1…Custom cheap
Cost: about $90

Pick up a Thrush or Cherry Bomb aftermarket, inexpensive, hi flo muffler and tip at Pep Boys/ Autozone/ O’ Reillys etc parts store and take it to a muffler shop and have them weld the appropriate pipes on and slap it on your car. It will flow better but the trade off is the noise. Like a lawnmower. Longevity is questionable.

Option 2…bolt on rear section
Cost: $250-300

I particularly like the 5zigen Border model and Manchester Honda mail order has a nice no name bolt on section for the CRX. Very clean, easy install. Louder than stock but tastefully so.

Option 3…If you still want a full catback exhaust.
Cost: $435

Thermal full Stainless steel exhaust systems…best quality to dollar ratio out there. Loud.

Option 4…Full catback but quiet and stock like appearance.
Cost: $550

HKS with the dual tips

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/b...udgetmods.html