Notices

b series swap in 1st gen CRX

Old 05-18-2004, 10:16 AM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b series swap in 1st gen CRX

alright, im contemplating buying a 1st gen, and i was wondering what all goes into swapping in a b series. (either an ls or a gsr). i know id have to buy the hasport mounts, the crx is already efi, so i probably wouldnt have to worry about that much. could i just grab the ecu, wiring harness, engine, and bolt right in? or do i need an axle and shift linkage too?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 AM
More&Faster

Originally Posted by ragerized
alright, im contemplating buying a 1st gen, and i was wondering what all goes into swapping in a b series. (either an ls or a gsr). i know id have to buy the hasport mounts, the crx is already efi, so i probably wouldnt have to worry about that much. could i just grab the ecu, wiring harness, engine, and bolt right in? or do i need an axle and shift linkage too?
im no expert here, but once you have the hasport mounts itll be just like a 4th gen swap. you need ecu, wiring, axles, hubs, shift linkage...whatever. plus make sure you get a cable tranny. ive never done the swap though so im not sure on all this.

okay now that ive answered the question, let me just give you my opinion on this swap real quick. you're going to spend atleast twice as much on this as you would on a zc and its going to end up like 100 pounds heavier which, in the light 1g chassis means that your steering will be noticeably heavier, the car will plow more, and you'll need bigger front torsion bars. and for what? an extra 30 horsepower? a zc will be almost as fast, and with the money you save, you can make it even faster. thats my justification for going zc with my 1g crx. im on a super low budget and my main priority is autocross though, so if you have different priorities then maybe a b-series swap is the best.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

i mean, the zc is good and all, i was just looking at something with either vtec, or a good portion of torque, and the zc doesnt have either of those. im kind of new to the 4th gen stuff, but it isnt too much different from other honda stuff.

so, could i just get 86-89 integra shift linkage, hubs, and axles?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:26 PM
More&Faster

the 86-89 integra was a d-series engine, so the tranny wont work for a b swap. i just happened upon a couple other tidbits, so here goes: you need custom axles, and you will also need the hasport wiring harness. but you probably knew that.

go for the B if thats what you want. it would be sick to get like a b18c in there and build it up a bit.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:49 PM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

yeah, a b18c would yield 12's with good driving.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Civic2Scooby

need the hubs, axles, etc. out of a DA teg. from what I am told
Old 05-20-2004, 06:11 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Hubs help, but aren't required. You will need some hybrid axles to get the right lengths. Wiring is mostly straight-forward, but there are some hang-ups, just double and triple check your ECU pinouts and verify all wiring as you go to save hassle later.

Also, even with mounts, this swap is hard. There just simply is not much room in a 1G engine bay. Also, having driven a 1G B-series CRX, I can say that the steering difference is not huge. There is some noticable heft, and you will need to adjust the torsion bar pre-load to get your ride height in the front correct, but it's not undrivable by any means.

You'll also need shift linkages made or modified.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's all I have for now...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:35 PM
ragerized
dc4 ownerages

could i just buy a jdm crx front clip, and then basically use everything from that?

maybe even convert it to rhd? :rick:
Old 05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by ragerized
could i just buy a jdm crx front clip, and then basically use everything from that?

maybe even convert it to rhd? :rick:
I dont see why that wouldnt work, except you couldnt convert to RHD without hella issues, and re-fabbing up your whole firewall..

edit: did they make a B powered rex in the first gens? thought it was only offered in the second gen rexs???
Old 05-21-2004, 05:46 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by b16aEGcivic
edit: did they make a B powered rex in the first gens? thought it was only offered in the second gen rexs???
Information differs. Some say it was, others say it wasn't. The "best" engine that came in them factory that I can confirm was a ZC.

Quick Reply: b series swap in 1st gen CRX