Notices

Engine rebuild? Too much oil is burned up!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:47 AM
polakatl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for all the good info. I still don't understand honing, but i think its just smoothing out the cylinder walls. Correct?

We are on a low budget so we will only do what is necessary to get rid of the oil burn up. Black smoke under acceleration is not cool. We also have to rebuild the transmision since it grinds going into second gear.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Redlinerz

If you want to make a cheap turbo setup send me a pm and i will send you a write up i got the documents how to do it step by step and in the cheapest way...good luck and have fun
Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 PM
AwwsChwA

Originally Posted by polakatl
Thanx for all the good info. I still don't understand honing, but i think its just smoothing out the cylinder walls. Correct?

We are on a low budget so we will only do what is necessary to get rid of the oil burn up. Black smoke under acceleration is not cool. We also have to rebuild the transmision since it grinds going into second gear.
actually, the purpose of honing is to scratch the walls. Yep, you heard correctly. Honing is the act of putting microscopic scratches into the cylinders in a very regular, specific pattern. You'll see it when the block is finished. It will feel smooth to the touch, but you'll see a very fine, very exact pattern of scratches on the entire surface of each cylinder.

The reason you want to scratch the cylinder walls is so that they wear down the new piston rings. A piston ring's purpose is to seal combustion gases inside the combustion chamber, and to seal oil out of the chamber. When you scratch the cylinders with honing, you're creating a rough surface that allows each individual piston ring to wear a near-perfect, flat sealing face against the cylinder wall. Over a few thousand miles, the cylinders and rings wear perfectly smooth against each other, and theoretically have a near perfect seal against each other. That's a very basic definition of what honing is about. There are specific angles that the scratches need to be at, there are specific speeds the hone needs to travel, etc etc etc. You'll find much better explanations on google, I'm sure.

On to your second part: Engine bearings have nothing to do with oil burning. If you only wish to cure the oil consumption, leave the bearings alone. You will still have to completely disassemble the engine, which means each individual bearing shell will have to be reinstalled EXACTLY where it was before. Honda engines are accurate to within .0001 inches, so even if you mix a top bearing shell up with a bottom shell, it can cause problems. Take extreme care to put each bearing piece back where it was originally. But anyway, to fix oil burning, hone the cylinders, replace the piston rings, replace worn valve guides (machinist will do this for you if needed), and replace all valve guide seals. Those are the components that allow oil into the combustion chambers.

It may be more worth yoru time adn money to simply get a used transmission from an importer. My CRX is on its 3rd transmission. I get them for about $275 with about 50,000 miles on them. They work beautifully for about a year, and then they die because I autocross and generally drive my CRX hard. If your car is simply for daily driving, a used one will last plenty long. Rebuilding a transmission is very costly (expect to pay at least $1500 for a shop to overhaul it), requires extensive tooling and takes a really long time. Just get a used transmission, and you can have it in the car in about 4 hours, ready to run.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:19 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I was just thinking that since he had the engine apart already replacing the bearings would be easy and it's cheap insurance for the engine. I know it has nothing to do with oil burning.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:30 PM
AwwsChwA

Originally Posted by hondatech
I was just thinking that since he had the engine apart already replacing the bearings would be easy and it's cheap insurance for the engine. I know it has nothing to do with oil burning.
I agree with you. I'm just goin with what he's telling me. The bottom line is, if you're really on a budget and can only fix the oil burning, bearings do not need to be replaced. I already covered bearings a couple replies up. Main bearings normally sustain very little damage during hte engine's life, but rod bearings get beat up pretty bad.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:28 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Dude, your the man I bow down then.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:20 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

you have any ricer shit on your car? body kit, wing, anything like that? if so, sell them and get a HMT kit... my total spent was $375 INCLUDING the V-AFC that was $250 NEW, so really i spent $125 on everything else... know how? traded shit i didn't need. IE: neuspeed strut bar, P28 ecu, z6 intake manifold, chikara header..... check out www.homemadeturbo.com most people there are cool and theres no TOS violation, rofl.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:44 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

only those with big mouths have problems with TOS violations...keep it clean and mature...the world doesn't revolve around any member on this board
Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

no i'm just saying that HMT doesn't have really any stupid guys on there.. well a few but you know how that goes... also the NO TOS is always a +...