Notices

Is This Possible? Horsepower Question...

Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Possible? Horsepower Question...

I'm driving a 90 Civic HB Si but when I got it it was supposed to be a "parts" car for my other Civic that met up with a Dodge Ram shortly thereafter.
It had in it a dying D15B2 that someone has swaped into it instead of the stock engine...I believe it was the head gasket...it was spitting oil all over the engine bay and burning it like crazy.
So I had a spare engine from my first Civic (STD) that worked great, so I threw that in there....it's a D15B1.

I've kept in the original MPFI and the 5sp tranny out of the Si and matched it up with the D15B1...but how can I squeeze more out of it? I know that the engine when it was in the STD had only about 70hp...and I imagine that has improved with the addition of the mpfi of the Si (even thought it's a little heavier car)...but how can I squeeze more out of it?

Is it possible to get 100hp out of this engine? 120...150??? If so...how can I do it? Dumb this down guys, I'm still learning, and thanks for any help.

Jason
Old 04-23-2004, 10:37 PM
slammed91-hatch

you can buy my running si motor if you want. I'm letting it go cheap cause i need to get it out of the garage. I am not sure what you can do to that d15 or if it would be worth the money.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:11 PM
AwwsChwA

100hp from a D15 with Si injection is very possible. 120hp can be had with cylinder head work and a cam swap. 130hp can be had if you add high compression pistons. 150+hp is only street drivable (in general) in a D-series if you have boost. But yes, all of the numbers you listed are possible and can be very reliable.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Magik

Originally Posted by slammed91-hatch
you can buy my running si motor if you want. I'm letting it go cheap cause i need to get it out of the garage. I am not sure what you can do to that d15 or if it would be worth the money.
Thanks...PM me and we may talk.....might not be in my budget right now...but we can talk...
Old 04-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Magik

Originally Posted by AwwsChwA
100hp from a D15 with Si injection is very possible. 120hp can be had with cylinder head work and a cam swap. 130hp can be had if you add high compression pistons. 150+hp is only street drivable (in general) in a D-series if you have boost. But yes, all of the numbers you listed are possible and can be very reliable.
So what you are saying is I should be boasting around a hundred now with the existing engine and the Si MPFI?

When you say cylinder head work and cam swap...can you expand on that a bit...especialy the first one...I understand the cam swap, but the cylinder head work??? Oh, and what cam would you suggest?

High compression pistons sound expensive... :P

You said 150 is on street drivable "in general" with with, is it attainable "without" boost??

Jason
Old 04-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by AwwsChwA
100hp from a D15 with Si injection is very possible.
I wouldn't be suprised if he has 100 flywheel already. 100 wheel is a whole different ballgame though.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Magik

Originally Posted by Kai
I wouldn't be suprised if he has 100 flywheel already. 100 wheel is a whole different ballgame though.
OK...Kai, that sparks another question...if I have a 100 existing at the flywheel now...how much loss would I encounter 'hypothetically'...by the time it gets to the wheels??

Jason
Old 04-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

between 15% and 17%, more if you have a stuck brake caliper or something.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Magik

Ok..somehow thought it would be more than that...so what you are saying is at 100hp I should be hitting 83-85hp at the wheels...

What are your recommendations for improvement?

Jason
Old 04-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Magik
What are your recommendations for improvement?

Jason
Get a different engine. That head and block combo are pretty hopeless in themselves, the ports are tiny, the rods are tiny, the cams are too sedate, it's just a basic commute-o-car engine.

Quick Reply: Is This Possible? Horsepower Question...