Notices

So I tried Starting my 89 Crx Si today...

Old 03-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Calilude
I'm Shy :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I tried Starting my 89 Crx Si today...

And the fawker won't start. It has a stock d16a6 in it. I tried putting gas in it because it has been sitting for awhile and the tank was empty so I put some gas in it. Well that didn't do crap for the car. I then tried getting a new battery and tried that. That didn't do anything either. I don't know what too do next. Should I change the ecu and possibly the distributor? Change the wires? It'll crank and crank and crank over but nothing happens. It sounds like it'll want to start over but it won't. If you guys have any suggestions on what I should do next let me know. Please post up or pm me. I'd appreciate the advice.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check if youre getting any spark
Old 03-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Civic2Scooby

pull an injector and see if it is gummed...if it has been sitting a while you could have clogged up the injectors.....check for the usual spark, compression, fuel...goodluck
Old 03-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It may have new gas in the tank, but the lines are probably still full of the old stuff.

Didn't you just buy that? Didn't it run when you got it?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Calilude
I'm Shy :(

Originally Posted by brtecson
check if youre getting any spark
I think I need to change out the spark plugs anyways. The car has been sitting awhile. I'm sure there is a whole bunch of stuff I need to change on it right now. How do I check for any spark? I feel stupid for asking that but I want to be able to do this with out screwing anything up. Anything else you think I should check?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
JDM CRX 510

First off, did you try starting the motor before you bought the car? Second, don't bother fixing the problem and just go buy yourself another Si motor with lower miles or upgrade to a bigger motor. IM me when you're online and talk to me, maybe I can help you out with your problem.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Redlinerz

you dont need to get another motor unless you want to or need to. First off 3 things make a car start, compression, spark, and fuel. Check them each and make sure there are all there. First Spark..I dont know if this is a ghetto backyard mechanic way but its how I do it... take one of the spark plug hoses out of the head, take a screwdriver (with plastic handle) and stick it insdie the spark plug hose (make sure it touches the metal ring inside) and then hold the hose over something metal ( a bolt will do just fine) and have someone try and start the car..if it sparks you got spark. ( I hoped I explained it good..if you have any questions email me). Second if there is no spark check fuel...on the firewall you will have a fuel filter...loosen the bolt the fuel comes out of (not too much !) and have someone turn the key as if they were going to start the car..if you got fuel it will leak a lil out or spray a lil (depending on how loose you lossened it). Thrid is compression...the easiest way to check this is go to sear or pep boys or auto zone and buy one and just follow the directions. Hope this helps good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

yea, you dont have to buy a different engine. replacing a distributor or fuel pump or something small like that will be way easier than an engine swap, even if it takes a few tries to diagnose your problem. so basically, do what redlinerz said.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:26 AM
JDM CRX 510

I would if it had over 200k on the motor.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

the car in my avatar ran fine up to 306k miles. It was then sold, and a zc was put in there. i wouldnt be suprised if calidude could get a few more years out of that drivetrain.

Quick Reply: So I tried Starting my 89 Crx Si today...