Notices

91 CRX Si Ignition Problems

Old 08-02-2002, 07:06 PM
theredcrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 CRX Si Ignition Problems

Help! My CRX had a dead battery and while getting a jump start from another car, I inadvertently reversed poles and attached their positive to my ground and vice versa. The main fuse box under the hood blew the (60amp) main fuse. I have replaced that and everything looks fine but when the car is turned on, although everything lights up and seems to work, the engine won't start. The starter turns the motor over but that's all... it doesn't start. What do I need to check/do?
Oh, my ignition system is no longer stock. I upgraded to the complete MSD ignition system which has an external ignition control unit, external "blaster coil" and modified distributor cap as well as their spiral wound spark plug wires.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:10 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

1st check your #37 fuse (15amp) in the main fuse box in the engine bay to see if that's blown (that'll prevent it from starting)...then its on to the main relay (under the drivers side dash)...fuel pump...injectors...ecu

and it could be your distributor too
Old 08-02-2002, 07:22 PM
theredcrx

All the fuses in the main fuse box are fine. Haven't checked the fuse box under the dash yet. A friend who owns an 88CRX said something about fuse elements (apparently they are just like bare wire and not fuses as we know of). Do these fuse elements really exist?
Otherwise, I'll check those other items tomorrow as it's almost 9:30 p.m. now and I'm not able to get to it tonight.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:29 PM
WhiteRice

Check your distributor...make sure your rotor is tight. Use a little look tight if it isn't. It could be the ignitor as well, which is in the distributor. If you have questions about this let me know, I just changed mine.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:48 PM
jc836

Sadly, I highly suspect the MSD control unit.
If you turn the key to the ON position the dash lights should ALL come on-including the CHECK light. The CHECK light will go off after a few seconds. During this time you should hear a click and the fuel pump should also ru for 2 seconds and then stop. If this test fails-the MAIN relay may be to blame. We know you are getting power to the Starter relay and several other circuits.
The CRX does NOT use "fusible link" wires. Everything that I know of is either a fuse or circuit breaker. Having reversed polarity is definitely not good for any electronic device and it is possible that the ECU is fried-but not as likely. If that is the case, I have one available (PM6). I still think the culprit is the ignition box or if you retained it the Ignitor.