Notices

alternator still not sending charge..

Old 02-25-2004, 04:02 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator still not sending charge..

Ok if anyone has any ideas or can explain this please do so. I took my car to the auto parts store to be tested for alternator because the car was hesitating to turn on. IT cranks up fine and runs fine but it has a longer delay to start up.. Sure enough i replaced the alternator and its still doing the same thing. I got alternator tested and auto parts said it charges just fine. My battery is good and starter is good. No charge is going back to battery.. Anyone know what this could be? please leave opinions. thansk
Old 02-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Vividkid82

Originally Posted by honda1998civic
Ok if anyone has any ideas or can explain this please do so. I took my car to the auto parts store to be tested for alternator because the car was hesitating to turn on. IT cranks up fine and runs fine but it has a longer delay to start up.. Sure enough i replaced the alternator and its still doing the same thing. I got alternator tested and auto parts said it charges just fine. My battery is good and starter is good. No charge is going back to battery.. Anyone know what this could be? please leave opinions. thansk
its could still be a bad battery if its more then a year old. Sounds like the battery is not holding a charge as apposed the alternator not charging it...
Old 02-25-2004, 11:55 PM
KuttinEdge

You may not be getting enough current going through your wires. Try upgrading the maigc three
But before you do that, check the voltage on the battery when cranking. I have access to a digital volt meter that i have hooked up for my stereo system that i can look at while im starting the car. I know that i need a new battery because when i crank, the voltage drops to about 9V, not good. There should be some volatage drop when cranking, but not that much.
P.S. Optima makes a YELLOW TOP battery for Civics and Integras Now!
Size D51 or D51R for a positive right post. Great battery
Old 02-26-2004, 12:35 PM
jc836

There is a part in the MAIN Fuse panel called th ELD-which is the gadget that controls WHEN the alternator will charge. If it is bad it will not allow the battery to be charged even if the alternator is good. The only way to replace it-is either from a yard or the dealer. There is a way to test it, sort of--but you need the Helm manual for that.

Try starting the car and do what others have suggested with a Digital Multimeter. The reading at adle should be 12.7 volts or 14.1-14.4 volts, if charging.
Good luck
Old 03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
excitid

Default This could be your problem

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ght=alternator