Notices

thinking about a CRX.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:13 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BonzoAPD
Wow I never knew CRX's had so much potential. There was one being sold by my house but I never looksed at it. I should have. It's gone now
'Least now you know. Since Integra engines swap right in, imagine how much fun your teg is, and then imagine how much fun it would be if it had a shorter wheelbase for better turning, and weighs about 500 lbs. [or more] less
Old 07-30-2002, 03:05 PM
b00gers

hey 1stGenCRXer:

what model or year, if any, should i be looking for if i wanted to put a b18 in there? will it be more work to get in a b18c, because of all the vtec components?

what engine would be the simpliest? should i be looking for high 14s with a b18?

thanks....
Old 07-30-2002, 03:12 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

If you want all out speed with a B-series swap, I'd have to suggest an '85 Si. If you want to take a slightly cheaper route with less headache and the familiar look of the second gen CRX's, I'd have to suggest an '88 HF, or any HF you can get ahold of between '88-91. They were the lightest from the factory, and had MPFI, which means a bit less wiring for a VTEC engine, and no extra wiring for a non-VTEC engine. I think the usual performance range for a fresh swap is about mid 14's with a B16, mid to low 14's with a B18c, and high to mid 14's with an LS engine. You'll need a skunk manifold or other similar aftermarket manifold for a B18c to fit in a CRX though, otherwise you'll have firewall clearance issues. After that, VTEC and knock sensor wiring is all you need to do really, apart from the usual axle and shift linkage routine that you go through with any B-series swap. BTW, in case you were wondering, a simple B16a swap in a first gen Si will run low-mid 14's without any bolt-ons
Old 07-30-2002, 03:24 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
BTW, in case you were wondering, a simple B16a swap in a first gen Si will run low-mid 14's without any bolt-ons
then i only can imagine what you are running.

if you dont mind, what are your susp mods? how hard is it finding parts for a car that old?

for someone on a budget, would you recommend the b16 or b18?

thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:35 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by WiLL
then i only can imagine what you are running.
Nah, I'm slow, only running about mid 14's with this in my '85 DX:
if you dont mind, what are your susp mods? how hard is it finding parts for a car that old?
My suspension mods are very limited right now. I have an LSD for my tranny on the way right now, and I have an energy suspension full poly kit. Either this winter or next summer I'm looking to get Tockico Illuminas and some sticky autocross/race rubber. The best place to get performance suspension for any CRX I've found is to look for places making IT racing stuff. I'm going through OPM for my LSD but they have a good selection of suspension stuff too.
for someone on a budget, would you recommend the b16 or b18?
thanks.
Personally, I think the B16 is about the most worthless swap you can subject yourself to. It doesn't have much more torque than any stock CRX engine, and doesn't have any more displacement, just has 2 cams and a higher redline. Personally, I would go with a B20/VTEC if staying NA, and get a B16 if you want to build it up to run insane boost amounts, or else go with an LS and run a turbo on it. Any of those three options would run about the same end cost if you did the bare minumums [all stock internals], but the B20VTEC would likely be the fastest in the beginning, you'll spend more money and time on engine managment for a turbo LS than any other single thing.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:32 PM
shiznattik

Hey WiLL where you at?

I just got a 91 CRX HF in pretty good condition in Mountain View (san jose) for $1600.

Bought a CF hood from airon for $300 and am trading it to a guy for a d16z6 complete swap.

can't wait to replace my 62 hp beast!!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:08 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by shiznattik
Hey WiLL where you at?

I just got a 91 CRX HF in pretty good condition in Mountain View (san jose) for $1600.

Bought a CF hood from airon for $300 and am trading it to a guy for a d16z6 complete swap.

can't wait to replace my 62 hp beast!!
oakland....thats one good deal man...wanna sell it to me :thumbup:

howd you find it?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:43 AM
shiznattik

hehe.. i found it in craigslist.com listings
Old 08-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Hondaholic

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
Personally, I think the B16 is about the most worthless swap you can subject yourself to. It doesn't have much more torque than any stock CRX engine, and doesn't have any more displacement, just has 2 cams and a higher redline. Personally, I would go with a B20/VTEC if staying NA, and get a B16 if you want to build it up to run insane boost amounts, or else go with an LS and run a turbo on it. Any of those three options would run about the same end cost if you did the bare minumums [all stock internals], but the B20VTEC would likely be the fastest in the beginning, you'll spend more money and time on engine managment for a turbo LS than any other single thing.
What would you have to do to a b16 engine to make it run insane boost amounts? How costly is this? Lets say I swapped in a b16 and wanted to make it run enough boost to get into the mid 12's?

thanks
Old 08-04-2002, 11:26 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Darton sleeves, forged pistons, stronger rods, turbo cams, and lots of tuning.

Quick Reply: thinking about a CRX.