Notices

My CRX Project!!!!

Old 01-01-2004, 09:07 PM
narib2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CRX Project!!!!

Hello all,
I recently have considered starting a project car.I currently have a 98 civic ex and have put about 4k into it.Allthough i luve the car,any further modifications would require down time.And since it is my daily driver i can not allow it.I recently found a 1990 crx dx.The car i can get for 500.It is white not 1 ding on it.Paint is kinda going.Interior is like brand new.And engine only runs on 3 cylinders(also has 300k on it).I plan on bondoing the rust spots,smooth them out , then repainted.I also plan on equiping the hatch with a b16a1.I heard this does about a mid 14 or so in the quarter.Im looking too pick up some speed without turbo.I was going too use these modifications.

http://www.clubsi.com/dyno_cheap_bastard_2.shtml

Those modifications plus a 50 shot of zex starting out.Think that could get me around a 13.5 or so?

I will post pics of the car when i get it, should be tommarow or the weekend.Thank You
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Putting bondo over rust is a recipe for disaster. If you're going to do anything to the rust, you need to strip away the paint in the area, find out how far the rust goes and replace the metal.

If this is a throwaway car for you... then get some One-Step from Mar-Hyde to spray the rust before you do anything, it works alright for neutralizing rust...
Old 01-02-2004, 07:15 AM
narib2001

well yes my plan for the rust, is too file away at it.Then spray it with rustoleum or better.Than bondo after.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:43 PM
crxb16er

500 is a good price if the body is decent you would need a dpfi-mpfi b4 u can do the b16 but not that hard, whats the price tag ur willing to work with?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 PM
narib2001

around 7k or so.Hehe hopefully thats enough
Old 01-02-2004, 01:23 PM
crxb16er

oh yah itll be more than enough especially if ur doing ur own labor, but you may also want to look into finding a crx with a b16 already in it for 2-2.5k the initial install can be expensive especially with all the extras you'd need to do... ie mounts, linkage, ecu, dpfi-mpfi, axles, etc.... i started from scratch on all my cars and now that ive done a few swaps in different crxs i find its always easier to replace bad parts and fix stuff than start all over and begin working on it urself
Old 01-03-2004, 06:12 AM
narib2001

True.I kinda want too really experiment with cars however,and this car for 500 , im not gonna really kick my self if i screw up.I do want too do all my own work.I was thiking about taking apart the stock engine,then buying a b16 botton end and block and building it up before installing.or should i do ls/vtec if i want too go this way?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:26 AM
crxb16er

well, u can learn on alot of engines, my first swap that i did myself was a b16 and i now have a zc since i ran the b16 into the ground, never played with ls/vtec but thatd be a little bigger project than a b16, first things first buy urself a really nice manual on the car in question, learn it inside and out, what ever sensor is what it does why it does it etc, and you'll appreciate your car and be able to really get in and do some dirty work, b16 is a great engine, i like the turboed zc also, but do research on all ur options and decide what kinda car u want, and build away. ive done all my own swaps and am now on my 4th crx and 2nd engine ( that wasnt stock that is) and i love the crx platform, much faster than the civic ex, for alot less money, and alot more fun IMO, but the crx is just that a fun car, dont ever expect it to carry groceries or one of ur fat friends, thats what i like about the crx the most, my gf hates the car, i dont have to give my friends a ride and i can just enjoy myself on the road. its truely a peice together car, you put whatever u want into it and make it ur own.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:34 PM
narib2001

Thanks Man,I picked up the car today.It looked like shit...then i washed it.Looked like ones that go for around 4k , haha you got too love soap.I cleaned the interior, ran into a problem though.Seems that passenger side is wet.Im stripping the interior tommarow, and my friend with a black si is gonna swap interiors with me.So im gonna have a black interior rather than the std dark blue.Also i hear a knocking noice sounds like the exhaust(not the engine)
Old 01-05-2004, 09:56 AM
crxb16er

get under the car check the exhaust system and all the connections, and also the hangers around the suspension sometimes they fall lose