Notices

Help 90 hatch poping out of the intake

Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
puresport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 90 hatch poping out of the intake

i have a 90 hatch 1.5 std just got it when i go to start it it iwll turn over a few times and stop and pop out of the intake soo i thought it could be the timing soo i checked it fine checked cap rotor replaced sprak pulg wires still the same when it dose run it seems to be skiping but sometimes it will come out of it and run fine and other times it sounds like its running on 3 cyl... and others it seems like its running on 2 i checked all the plugs for spark and yes maybe i got the timing off on firing order 1342 on number one on the cap gose to number one cly..??? and then which one gose on what i mean like 1 on the cap gose to number 1 cly and 2 on the cap goses to number 2 cly or what i guess i am lost but before i did anything it still ran like it has been no power on low end and sumtimes it iwll be fine when you rev it i dont know i am lost HLEP PLEASE ASAP
Old 12-14-2003, 03:08 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

please, use complete sentences kinda hard to understand

is it "popping" at timed intervals or is it just randomly popping?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:31 AM
puresport

it just pops out of the intake every once n while when its cold it iwll start fine and run fine sumtimes for like 5 tens mins and it will start like skiping again
Old 12-14-2003, 09:21 AM
cstem

I would check timing with a timing light and suspect that maybe the timing belt is loose and streched. It probably has not skipped yet but streching enough to alter timing. Also check the distributor mount nuts for tighness. The unit may be walking. Finally, check the dist shaft for wobbling (grab it and see it if moves around). Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:45 AM
puresport

i have two d15 motors doing this and i cant figure out whats wrong with them now it wont even start with the firing order right it just backfires out of the intake when cranking over and the motor stops cranking when it pops and then turns over till it pops again
Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 AM
puresport

i got the firing order right now and it still is doing the same thing
Old 12-14-2003, 10:47 AM
puresport

i think i found the problem i took off the top timing belt cover and the belt is loose soo now how do i go about getting the timing back with a new belt ? i have a haynes book
Old 12-14-2003, 12:20 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

make sure the cam gear is set at tdc, make sure the crank pully is set at tdc (there should be a white mark or if that is faded look for 3 notches on the edge of pulley and align them with the marks on the lower timing belt cover to the cam gear)

www.helminc.com best $60 a diy could ever spend

i'd be concerned that the timing belt pretensioner is wearing out (it is the bolt that you turn to tighten the belt...you can get those cheap at any local auto parts store...but you might have to buy it with a new timing belt...they cost around $50)
Old 12-14-2003, 06:57 PM
wagon89

Doubt its the timing belt, timing belts don't stretch much they just snap or lose teeth.