Notices

Turbo kit

Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jaje
**** that...i guess if you have well over $2k to throw around you can do it this way...you can build the kit i had for around $700 non intercooled or $1000 intercooled with an old dsm intercooler (fmu only for these two) with a rebuilt (basically brand new turbo) and the ancillary things like boost and a/f gauges..and it'll even pass emissions if you retain the stock cat

ok this is what i have:
RHB5 turbo
adapter plate
CX manifold
V-AFC
DSM 450cc injectors
custom chargepiping
boost gauge
a/f gauge
oil feed
oil return
DSM smic
probe/mx-6 bov

guess what i haven't spent more than.. $400 on my set up and i have everything you need.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

oh btw a rebuilt turbo will go for well over $300 alone for a 14b... another thing bakeoff on here hasn't spend more than $300 on his turbo kit and he even has a t3 turbo

and 1 more thing.. HOW THE FUK DO YOU COME UP WITH $300 for a DSM smic??? you said "700 for un-intercooled or 1000 for intercooled using a dsm smic" rofl i got mine for $30 shipped. i'm on honda-acura, honda-tech, d-series, and homemadeturbo...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

$300 is a pretty high price for a sidemount, I'd say $150 tops for all the piping, mount plates (probably can be custom fab'ed), and other little things.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:39 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you got a problem with me...swearing at another member is stupid

when you get a smic or fmic what do you have to do? just install it and whamo you are ready for the road? no you have to get charge piping from an intake, to the compressor on the turbo, from the comperssor on the turbo to the intercooler, from the intercooler to the tb (and have bungs welded on for several things such as map sensor, pcv, bov)...you also have to fashion a downpipe as just an hf/cx manifold and adaptor just connects a turbo to the engine...now you have to vent it and also connect the o2 sensor, and i'd advise to get a 2nd o2 sensor for the wideband or o2 guage as running wires from the stock o2 sensor doesn't give accurate reads

that's where that $300 comes from as you have to connect everything...you can get dsm smic cheap as shit but they mean squat until you use them

think i don't know what i'm talking about?...this is my current turbo project i'm working on including road racing it and not to mention other homemade projects i've worked on and raced at tracks (cooling and reliability become paramount)
http://www.wagnermotorsports.net/projects.php?pid=11

i'm a pretty easy going mod here and understand that not everyone has to agree with each other but say FUK to me or another member again and we'll have words later!...so get over your attitude and ego
Old 12-11-2003, 05:45 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by TeHJuSTiN
$300 is a pretty high price for a sidemount, I'd say $150 tops for all the piping, mount plates (probably can be custom fab'ed), and other little things.
$300 isn't very high for custom charge piping, mount plates, down pipe, etc. if you get quality...like stainless steel...you can also have a custom header built out of 321 stainless for around $200 if you want...but the $300 includes stainless t-clamp bolts ($10 each but buy them in in a bulk set), silicone flex connectors and other high quality high reliability items
Old 12-11-2003, 05:56 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

guess what i haven't spent more than.. $400 on my set up and i have everything you need.
ok this is what i have:
RHB5 turbo ($50 and i'd rebuild any used turbo...you forgot to mention the cost of running the water coolant lines as this turbo is water cooled that means t valves)...now did you get your turbo ported?
adapter plate ($40 from sites that sell them or custom fab for $20)
CX manifold ($20 local junkyard)...i'd definitely have it ported as a lot more air is going through this unit...in fact i'd get a ss header made to reduce weight and allow it to disperse heat better...read corky bell turbo book
V-AFC (!!!!a v-afc new is around $350 (version 2) and you can't find an used v-afc for less than $200!!!...this blows the $400 quote you have out of the water)
DSM 450cc injectors (used? new?...new they cost $50 each...why not get a set of mustang gt injectors as they will work and are much cheaper new)
custom chargepiping (this costs at least $250 for a high quality work and reliability)
boost gauge ($20 used)
a/f gauge (i'd go with a wideband as they are much more accurate than a cheapo a/f guage)
oil feed (ss flex line with AN fittings)
oil return (tap and mount return line into oil pan and AN fittings)
DSM smic ($30 i agree but good charge piping ups this price significantly)
probe/mx-6 bov ($10 used maybe...but you have to pay for a bung to be welded onto the charge line)
you mentioned turbo timer earlier thats $50
don't forget a fuel pressure guage
don't forget to consider an oil pressure guage (big deal in my book)
don't forget tuning the car on a dyno

now you spent all that money but: what are you going to do to cool the engine better and prevent heat soak???...oil cooler?, run front bumper venting?, vent the hood?, phenolic intake manifold & tb gasket?. etc.

you can say you spent $400 for the core turbo kit (no way a v-afc will fit this budget) but don't forget all the ancillary things you'll have to do...i've seen time and time again those that have tried to do a cheapo turbo spend around $700-$1000 after problems occur and drawbacks they did of a bargain basement turbo kit...you can do it but it's not reliable until done right
Old 12-11-2003, 06:24 AM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

uh yeah i got all the chargepiping in my set up... also a wideband is not using 2 o2 sensors, rofl... wideband o2 sensors usually have 5 wires off the o2 sensors...haha.

mason
Old 12-11-2003, 06:25 AM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

rofl i haven't spent that much there bud... i got hook ups f a g... if you know people or can do TRADES on homemade turbo you'll be set... what a dumbazz, oh and where can i find a rebuilt RHB5 for $50? they go on Ebay for 120 +
Old 12-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Hondaracer

Would there be any difference in the way you set it up if you have an intake?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:54 AM
Hondaracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaje
[B

think i don't know what i'm talking about?...this is my current turbo project i'm working on including road racing it and not to mention other homemade projects i've worked on and raced at tracks (cooling and reliability become paramount)
http://www.wagnermotorsports.net/projects.php?pid=11

Your car is looking really great how much horse does it have before and after?