Notices

steering help! =(

Old 12-06-2003, 08:04 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering help! =(

alright heres my story. i just replace my passanger side wheel bearing and axel. i have a b18a1 in my 91 dx hatch, and i use a integra axel, which fits perfect, and i was told my front end susupension was integra also, so after some times at the junkyard, got a integra hub/knuckle with a good bearing. at first we thought ti was the dx hubs, but then found out it was integra. so i got all that working, doesnt squeel anymore or grind on that side. but i noticed when i was driving, i was turned to the left going myabe 30mph and i heard a thud thud thud thud, until i straightened out. =\ hrmm. so i pick up some people, and we go to eat, and i notice my left side is shaking crazily. my steering wheel is also pulling to the left. when im driving straight, and i go to the right a little, its fine, to the left, everything starts vibrating and making thud noises (that side). also, the steering is sensative to bumps, meaning when i hit a bump my steering wheel jerks to the left a little, WTF is wrong!? also, the sounds and vibrations only came around when i was around 35+mph. my steering wheel is aftermarket and it sorta is turned to the left a little, when i drive straight, so im thinkin maybe i needa adjus that, but what abotu everything else. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:15 AM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

the thumping is your CV joints... which is in your axles. Its cheaper to replace the entire axle than change teh CV joints. My friend has an integra, his axles were 60 dollars each from a local shop.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 PM
92lx

get some new CV axles.....not tooooo expensive, especially if you do it yourself.

- Nathan
Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 PM
menappi

yeah i sort of thought it was the axel too, but i raised the car up, and all my boots are good, no ripps, so how would the joint be bad, and the boots all look sorta old, not like they have been replaced. i think if my joint was out i would hear a clicking, but the sound i am expiriencing is a little different. it sounds as though i had run over a large rock with the left tire, a big thud, but i get it repeatedly, only when there is more weight in the car though. i noticed it stopped when my pasangers were gone. also is there a way to tighten up the steering? cause sometimes when i hit little holes n stuff my steering goes crazy, also making a weird thud noise...what are the signs of a bad wheel bearing, or one starting to go out. because when it was raised, i pulled on the left wheel a bit, and it had some play, but only a LITTLe. when i mean a litttle, i meant it barely moved, maybe a few millimeters, just enough to make a little noise. helpppppppppp
Old 12-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

when you replaced the knuckle(s), did you remember to crank the axle nut back to spec? I've forgotten to do that before and the same thudding occurs. But it really sounds like a bad ball joint could be your problem. Jack that corner of the car up and try wobbling the wheel. If there is any top to bottom movement, have someone else try wobbling it while you reach behind and feel the joint where it's making movement. If no joints are flexing, check to see if it looks like the wheel and brake rotor move when the knuckle doesn't.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:27 PM
cstem

As i see it you replaced the hob/knockle whith a used one right? If yes, check allthe nuts and bolts in this area. The end nut for the axle could do it too (good call) as it will allow the axle to float and bang agaoinst the hub and trans. And stay out of junkyards for soft parts! ANd replace all soft parts on hubs and that when you ge that crap.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:14 PM
menappi

ok, all nuts are good. i torquest both axel nuts to like 130lbs before, so i know their good. everythign is bolted in right. i jacked it up and nothing moves. the car only makes those vibrating noises and thuds when i turn to the left. i can smash and turn to the right and its fine, so which side is it? the knuckle hub is good and the axel on the right side. the axel is also good on the left too, maybe my steering rack is ****ed? or a tie rod??? whats the sign of a bad whele bearing besides the noise, lets say its just beginning. cause i was driving with people in my car and the car wanted to turn to the left, and kept vibrating on that side. AHHH!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
cstem

Did you check the brake caliper? Also, I would recommend loosening th eaxle nuts then retightening. Check to make sure it is not crossthreaded which will make it feel tight when it is not. Is the axle the right length? I thought you said you had a teg axle in it? It may be a little sloppy fitting and woudld defiitely need replaced. If you wrench like I type then give up now and go to a shop!