Notices

stalled out, now won't start

Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
glueslabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shit...i've replaced the cap and rotor and put in new plugs. still won't effing start! now when i crank it, it sounds weird. what's with these bosch plugs i got? the center electrode is white, not metal. my old ones had a metal tip.

anyway, i'm ready to give up. i barely have time to work on this and it's freezing out! ugh.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:30 AM
cstem

di you replace the fuel filter yet? Try that and see what happens- keep us posted- Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:25 PM
wagon89

Originally posted by crxb16er
unless the dizzy is leaking oil or starts pinging like crazy at high rpms (indications of bearing failure, or ignitor toasted) then u just need to do a cap and rotor, cap and rotor and ignition wires are supposed to be replaced approximately every 12k miles, or once a year at least now noone does this. just check the condition of the terminals on the cap and the rotor. and once u finally get the car starting while its dark take a look at the spark plug wires if they need replaced u will see small archs of electricity where the wiring has started to fail. also check ur spark plugs for sure i replace mine at least every 12k miles and alot of the time earlier they are the best indicator of what is going on inside ur engine.
Cap and rotor and wires replaced every 12k don't know what parts your buying. my Honda cap/rotor wires have been on now for the last 20k the old ones had 135k when I yanked them off
Old 12-15-2003, 07:49 AM
crxb16er

lol thats why i said noone does this.... if u actually read ur cars maintainance book it also says to have a valve check and adjustment every 24k miles noone does this also. every time u fill up with gas ur also supposed to walk around ur car and check tire pressure and check coolant level but noone does this also. but regardless it is basic and preventative maintainance.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 AM
glueslabs

ok, so i've thrown in the towel due to lack of time. well, i'm also a bit out of my league with this problem. as a result, i'm gonna take the car into the mechanic on friday. my question is what should i tell them? i mean, i was going to ask them to check for fuel-related stuff (cause that's what it's looking like to me), but
I don't want to get screwed. my friend has been to this guy before and said he was real straightforward, but just in case ya know.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
cstem

Default FUEL FILTER

FUEL FILTER!? FUEL FILTER?! FUEL FILTER?!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
glueslabs

ok guys...i took the car in on friday and guess what? i needed new friggin' distributor. not cheap...the total (with only $60 labor) was $425! good lord. this is the last time i'm sinking this much money into this car.

anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:49 PM
crxb16er

ouch shoulda said something once u figured out what it was, ive got a few laying in the garage from old wrecked rexes.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM
glueslabs

thanks anyway, crxb16er. but, i didn't find out it was the distributor until they told me and i was pressed for time (i need the car by saturday). oh well...
Old 12-22-2003, 02:33 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

ouch...you could have bought brand new (better quality) distributors on ebay...i can't remember who sells them but they are high quality and much cheaper than dealer or even the auto parts store