Notices

1990 Honda Civic Si stumbling

Old 11-21-2003, 10:31 AM
MLo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Honda Civic Si stumbling

Hello,

My 1990 Honda Civic has recently started stumbling when I'm idle. This only happens when the car is warm. I brought it in to my mechanic's and he changed the distributor cap & rotor, the cables, spark plugs, and gas filter (all original Honda parts). It ran well for 2 days but now it's stumbling again. Does anybody have any idea on what could be causing this and how it could be fixed? I would like to hear your opinion before bringing it in again.

Thank you,

MLo
Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Vividkid82

did u pull any codes from the ECU?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:37 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

when you say stumble..do you mean fluctuating idle? or do you mean like studdering like a miss? if its erratic idle its prolly a vacuum leak. ive had every vacuum leak under the sun it seems like...
Old 11-21-2003, 11:00 AM
MLo

Haven't checked for codes .... yet.

What I mean by STUMBLE is that it gives little jumps or kicks, as if it were going to stall. I will check and see if I could hear any vaccuum leaks.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:09 AM
crxb16er

idle set too low? check for codes, sounds like uve got the basic maintainance covered, check all the vacume hoses coming off the intake manifold, that will cause it but more than likely ud have a bouncing rpm gauge because of the surge, ive also experienced every type of vacume leak known in a crx im guessing its a common problem with our 15 year old cars and noone ever replacing the hoses lol hummm.. makes sense doesnt it... good luck finding the problem
Old 11-28-2003, 08:35 AM
MLo

Hey guys,

thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I checked the hoses, no leak, I checked the ECU it gave me code 19 (lock-up control solenoid), which is something else I have to look into later on. So, I finally ended up putting Berryman's B-12 fuel injector cleaner in my fuel tank, and changing my air filter, to see if this would help. It's been driving nice since! HOWEVER, this morning, when I got to work, I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. The radiator seems to be leaking from the edges on the steel piece going across the top of the rad. The temperature seems fine, so I don't think it's overheating. Besides changing the radiator, what else can I check for?

Thanx