Notices

what motor for $4000 in my 91Si?

Old 11-16-2003, 12:40 PM
baehan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what motor for $4000 in my 91Si?

my clutch and syncros are gone. i've been saving to do a motor swap. instead of fixing the tranny, i'm going to go ahead with a full swap. i've talked to a few shops here in phoenix, and for the money, looks like here's my list. the $4k is in just parts...

ls block, b16a complete head, port and polish/ mill head, type r pistons, ls/vtec oil kit, clutch, type r oil pump, bearings, machine shop, arp studs, rnr (couldn't read it exactly) engine, mounts, linkage, axles, ecu...

i would like the most hp/torque for the money. most bang for the buck. i don't want to spend a grip of cash for no gains. i'd rather spend a little more money for a lot of gains. i want to be able to hold my ground when v8's want to race. i want to also autox and drag race this car. does this motor seem to be a potential 12 sec vehicle? the shop said that after they get thru with this...it will be a very reliable daily driver. they also offer a written 12,000 mile, 1 yr warranty. what do you guys think? i need a reliable daily driver that's quick. thanks guys.

Kai...thanks for you help in this already...i just wanted to get a few more opinions. thanks for all your help.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

just from the description you gave it doesnt sound like it would be able to rev very high, maybe just a little past the stock ls redline. meaning you'd have plenty of bottom end but not much top end. for $4k you could get a complete b18c5 swap.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:54 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

an ls vtec is notorious for spinnin rod bearings...might want to go cr-vtec. b20 block w/ b16 head. you can find crv blocks for pretty cheap usually. do a search on here for this setup and you can find the exacts of it. they are insane motors. i saw one put down 159 to the wheels with no aftermarket shit on it yet cept intake...maybe a header.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:12 PM
baehan

snoopy...b18c5 swap here is phoenix is crazy expensive...including labor...it's well over $5k

malfuncion...i was kinda worried about the cr-vtec setup cuz he had 3 motors that had the bottom end crack in his shop. the shop guy was saying that the last motor that he did with the setup mentioned above put down close to 190 to the wheels. it sounded kind of high to me, but i wasn't sure.

all this motor stuff gets discouraging... thanks guys for your responses...more food for thought.

basically, i'm looking for a 12 second car...what are my options for under $4k? thanks
Old 11-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by malfuncion
an ls vtec is notorious for spinnin rod bearings...might want to go cr-vtec. b20 block w/ b16 head. you can find crv blocks for pretty cheap usually. do a search on here for this setup and you can find the exacts of it. they are insane motors. i saw one put down 159 to the wheels with no aftermarket shit on it yet cept intake...maybe a header.
and what makes a b20 block better than an ls block? they are nearly identical except for the b20's .2 liters more displacement.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Snoopy
they are nearly identical except for the b20's .2 liters more displacement.
Yeah, the only difference is in the cylinder casting. Everything that affects the engine's ability to rev is identical to the B18A/B block.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Civic2Scooby

ls/vtec, cr/vtec...:nono:

if you really want a 12 sec car just get a b20 and turbo that bish....ls/vtec, and cr/vtec are getting old enough now that people are finding that they arent worth the time and money...if the motor was such a great idea, Honda would have built it in the first place.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:42 PM
baehan

Originally posted by b16aEGcivic
ls/vtec, cr/vtec...:nono:

if you really want a 12 sec car just get a b20 and turbo that bish....ls/vtec, and cr/vtec are getting old enough now that people are finding that they arent worth the time and money...if the motor was such a great idea, Honda would have built it in the first place.

my budget is $4k...what would you recommend? could you give me a list of parts? thanks.

i think that i've been seeing b20's for around $800-900. what would a decent turbo for that setup cost? something that would put me in the 12's.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 PM
AciDKinG95LS
SOLD THE ALLUM. WING!!!!

i am also getting a swap. I have an idea for you. Get an 3rd gen integra ls engine and turbo it. Beef up some of the internals and you could run 10 - 12 psi fine. And it would be insane fast. And, you would have the reliability that the b18b1 has to offer.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:30 PM
baehan

Originally posted by AciDKinG95LS
i am also getting a swap. I have an idea for you. Get an 3rd gen integra ls engine and turbo it. Beef up some of the internals and you could run 10 - 12 psi fine. And it would be insane fast. And, you would have the reliability that the b18b1 has to offer.
what is that going to cost you? exactly which motor are you getting? what kind of turbo are you getting? how fast is "insane fast"? what kind of 1/4 mile times are you looking at? are you getting a kit or doing a custom setup? thanks.

maybe going all motor isn't the best way to go for me. that's what i wanted to do...but it looks like i'm going to be spending all kinds of money for it. if i go turbo...what kind of reliability issue am i looking at? how long is the turbo good for? is it okay for autox? what motor would be the best to turbo? b18a, b18b, b20b, b20z, etc...?

thanks guys...