Notices

what motor for $4000 in my 91Si?

Old 11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i used to work at apexi in tucson at that shop. at any shop you rip off the stupid, if a kid comes in and wants a part and has the money u sell it to him, u warn him on how to use it and what not to do but more than likely a 16 year old kid buying a turbo is gonna blow up their engine, same with most 25 year olds also... parts sometimes take longer to ship that originally stated, cant blame the shop for that. and as far as the machine shop in the back, its the best quality u can get as far as aftermarket for a honda/acura in tucson. not to be a walking commercial or anything but besides midas for my exhaust work and welding i take my car no where else. but then again i know how to not be ripped off. if u ever need parts just let me know and i'll give u an idea of what to go for, but thats how u work with a shop u walk up to the counter already knowing ur own info and say hey i need this part, by next week what price can u give me, and if its too high u call around... i also know people at raiden performance
http://www.raidenperformance.com/index2.html
you might want to check there, they are a little closer to you, ive always gotten my engines from apex in tucson but got a few ecus from other places... all my general parts i get from car-parts.com, ie hubs/nuckles/half shafts, which is what most shops also do with used parts. good luck in finding ur engine.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:50 AM
baehan

Originally posted by crxb16er
...lol i used to work at apexi in tucson at that shop. at any shop you rip off the stupid, if a kid comes in and wants a part and has the money u sell it to him, u warn him on how to use it and what not to do but more than likely a 16 year old kid buying a turbo is gonna blow up their engine, same with most 25 year olds also...

man...that's the problem with some people in the world and the people in it that create an industry that's like that. ripping people off is not right morally, and degrades the integrity of the person. it seems like you participate in actions like that so i would not like to deal with you...but, i appreciate your offer in helping. no matter what age they are...if they come in to purchase something...wether they know what they're doing or not...it's your responsibility to get them what they asked for. ripping people off on price is one issue...i agree that is the customer's responsibility to know what they should be paying, but ripping off as far as selling a different item than stated is wrong. afterall, they're intention is to pay for the item they want. a sales associate's responsibility is to get the customer what they want...not to rip them off. thanks for your reply tho...
Old 11-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Vividkid82

Originally posted by Snoopy
for $4k you could get a complete b18c5 swap.
What planet? That motor is like 5g's by itself.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

A B18C5 alone is just a bit over $4k, while the entire swap is closer to $5k.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
crxb16er

lol i never rip people off, i installed parts and built engines, and the customer always got what they asked for as far as i knew it to be, now lets say u run a respectable business some 16 year old kids come in and say they want a turbo do u give it to them... u sure do, do u suggest a bov, intercooler, wastegate etc..... sure u do... but if they dont have the money do u install it and give the customer what they want...??? sure u do, when they blow up their engine because they are overboosting due to a crappy set up that they wanted in the first place do they blame you???? of course they do and that is why people blame the shops. engines come as is... plain and simple as with any company these are 15 year old engines of course some may have problems, thats why we did a basic compression check for everybody and told them its an old engine and suggest that they upgrade and replace all basic components. do most people do this???? NO... ive never once heard of a respectable shop who did not have complaints and most of those complaints having to do with them getting exactly what they paid for. people want a header u tell them a dc is gonna cost them 250-300 and they ask what else youve got u show them the low end peice of crap headers which of course they go and buy and then when it lowers your cars performance they blame you for not knowing what they were buying... BOO HOO... its a proven fact honda engines come highly tuned from the factory, its very hard to install a performance aftermarket part for a cheap price, that will benefit you engine and increase hp/torque/etc... as far as giving someone a different part when they order a brand name part???? ive never heard of it... and if it was done u demand a full refund and ur correct part... mistakes happen but once again ive never heard of it... and a b18c5 for 4k isnt hard to get at all... now with everything ur gonna need to get the car into the engine YES the price will come up ie header downpipe, axles, ecu etc...
Old 11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
crxb16er

and this is the complete changeover with ecu and axles and half shaft from a company that we all know... so dont tell me it cant be done.... lol but good try

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30010

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30011
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Vividkid82

Originally posted by crxb16er
and this is the complete changeover with ecu and axles and half shaft from a company that we all know... so dont tell me it cant be done.... lol but good try

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30010

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30011
+ mounts + wiring + AC bracket(this or course your going to stick it in a 88-91 civc) add another $1000 to that... $5500 or so...plus all the litte sh*t that goes wrong with every single swap...round that up to 6g's.

:thumbup:

oh...forgot, + shipping, so add another 3hundo.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:26 PM
crxb16er

very true, ive never done a swap that hasnt cost more than u originally expected it to, my last zc swap ended up running slightly less than 1400 once i got all new nuckles/hubs, 2 jackshafts later, had to pay to have a new cat put in, and had to buy a new dc header due to my engine not coming with the downpipe so i completely understand the price shooting way out of spec. not to mention the fluids, repacement parts, time and effort involved... etc... i wasnt saying u could get it done turn key just that u can get the engine for that price. in addition to everything else i mentioned your gonna need a cable tranny-hydrotranny kit which normally runs around 499-550 from hasport, to throw the cost even higher....
Old 11-19-2003, 04:29 PM
crxb16er

personally id suggest a zc/turbo kit and save money for something else, or go with a b16a1 which has been my previous 2 routes on my past 4 crxs good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:55 PM
imlachg1

build up a d16. Slap a turbo on the bitch and call it a day. People are putting down some nice numbers with that. Thowing a turbo kit on a d16 with stock internals would put in at about the low 14's. Beef up the internals a bit, run about 12 -14 psi and call it a day. Not to mention, when you whoop the shit out of a v8 or two you can say you only have a sohc. Not to mention its rather cheap. But. . . Thats just my two cents.