Notices

I Need Help!?!

Old 11-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Uncle Bubba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help!?!

I posted here before about my 90 Civic. Car would just die and then start right back up. Then it died and would not start up. Replaced rotor (which was nasty), cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter. Started right up. Went 300 miles and then died and started right back up. Went 50 miles, died and would not start up. Had it towed to my mechanic and it started up when we got there. He drove it and hooked it up to computer. Driving fine and not spitting out any code. He's baffled and so am I.

Anyone want to take a shot at it.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Magik

Main Relay.

I would have no doubt...those symptoms sound all too familiar. Will it turn over...and over...and over...about 10 times you'll try this before it starts.

Does it have a tendancy to do it more often on 'short' trips?

My suggestion...Main Relay...which is just down underneath the dash behind the coin box on the left hand side of the dash...right near the hood release.

If that's not it...I'm as stumped as you are.

Jason
Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM
crxb16er

yeppers, saw ur post on the zcr also. but id also suggest main relay check the soldering make sure there are no large cracks replace if necessary, intermetant starting problems are normally associated with that relay going out. it tends to not kick the fuel pump on at the 2nd acc position of the key switch...
Old 11-04-2003, 12:05 AM
Uncle Bubba

It either starts right up (pull over to side of road turn key to off and then turn to start - starts right up) or does not start at all no matter how many times I try it. I'll pull the main relay out tomorrow and look at it. I always thought this was a heat related issue.

Long trips or short trips. Car died after driving it 50 miles. Drove it another 15 miles, let it sit for 2 hours, drove it 1 mile and died and did not start up again until after I had it towed 50 miles.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Magik

UB, I'd still suggest trying the main relay...that is certainly what it sounds like to me. Let us know what it is...or if you change the relay and that's what it was. Very curious to know, good luck.

Jason
Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Vividkid82

Def. elecltrical prob......Where is this main relay located(want to check it out on my crx)
Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Magik

Originally posted by Vividkid82
Def. elecltrical prob......Where is this main relay located(want to check it out on my crx)
The MR is down under the dash near the "coin box" on the left hand side of the steering wheel, right near the hood release. My car has ran soooo much better since I changed mine.

Here (hope this works):

http://www.binghamtonlife.com/manual...es/91-23-6.jpg

Jason
Old 11-04-2003, 12:27 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

ona crx the main relay is right under the coin tray....like behind it in the dash. last night mine wigged out on me. its a common problem what ive heard. i have these same problems. i too am getting a new 'revised' realay from the dealership. they are delaership only items...about 40 bucks or so. but yeah this was my problem with starting. last night it was stuck in the click position...you know the click click start sound when you start it...well it was one the click and stuck. i looked forever to find the buzz sound and yeah sure enough, main relay. i hit it a few times and wiggled it then the buzz went away and it finished it click..havent had any problems so far today but i am still gonna replace that little slut. its definately on its laast leg.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Uncle Bubba

I'm changing the MR tomorrow. Let y'all know what happens. Drove it today for about a 1/2 hour and no issues.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Magik

Keep us posted!

Jason